Assistant Preschool Director
Assist in the planning, development, and administration of all programming and education for the Bennett Program.
- Currently be Large Center Director Qualified by the State of Colorado, Department of Human Service’s standards or be qualified to receive a temporary letter of qualifications and be fully within 6 months of employment. (http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/97dde5_7061225855114fd18e553a60db2fab91.pdf)
- Meet State of Colorado qualifications for a group leader of a child care center (http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/97dde5_ecfc0a8022dc437d9c9cd4addd210f81.pdf )
- Have knowledge of and experience with the Reggio Approach to teaching and/or Nature-Based or Forest School Early Childhood Education Models.
- Enjoy working with children ages 3-5 years old
- Be intrinsically and extrinsically motivated
- Have the ability to work effectively with other team members and possess communication skills to resolve difficulties
- Possess basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Be fluent in speaking and writing English
- Possess current First Aid and Infant, Child, and Adult CPR certifications
- Possess a current Medication Administration training certificate or be able to take course within one month of employment.
- Pass a health physical before employment
- Regularly lift up to 40 pounds up to four (4) feet
- Be able to walk up to two (2) miles on uneven terrain
- Possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Assists in planning, developing, and implementing the Reggio Approach and Nature-based/Forest School approach into the daily life at Bennett Preschool.
- Assumes all director responsibilities including handling emergency situations when Preschool Director is not available.
- Assists in opening or closing the preschool as assigned
- Contributes to overall upkeep of the building and the program.
- Responsible for planning, sustaining, and implementing the Reggio Approach to teaching as well as Nature-based/Forest School philosophy and curriculum
- Responsible for each child’s portfolio and the evolving environment inside and outside of Bennett driven by the interests of the children
- Observe children’s development while taking anecdotal notes, video, and photographs
- Supports, models, and implements the behavior management philosophy and methods of the Preschool and the YMCA.
- Develops children’s cognitive, social, emotional, and physical skills throughout the day.
- Share in the responsibility for the safety of the children in her/his care with the ability to predict and prevent, identify and respond to safety problems.
- Uphold the Child Abuse Prevention Code of Conduct of the YMCA of the Rockies and refrain from out-of-program contact with program participants
- Share in the cleaning of the Bennett Preschool building and preschool equipment
- Participate in YMCA Bennett Preschool Staff meetings when needed
- Participates in parent conferences on assigned children a minimum of two times a year.
- Lead morning meetings when needed
- Attend scheduled YMCA Bennett Preschool staff trainings
- All other duties as assigned, including working in other departments as required
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a full-time, year-round position paying $14/hour with full benefits, including:
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- Participation in the YMCA retirement plan
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center.
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
Must follow staff dress code as outlined in the YMCA of the Rockies Seasonal Staff Handbook.
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
ABOUT BENNETT PRESCHOOL:
Set on the YMCA of the Rockies 860 acre property in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado and bordered on three sides by Rocky Mountain National Park, Bennett Preschool is a Reggio-inspired and Nature-based Preschool that seeks to grow the whole-child socially, emotionally, cognitively, and physically through play-based learning in a largely outdoor setting. We believe that children are capable, competent, and creative people in their own unique way and deserve the right to learn about all the wonders of their environment through play and exploration. Our program uses place-based learning and emergent curriculum to further develop the interests of these children.
Bennett Children’s Building History - The Bennett Children’s Building was built in 1965 with funds donated by Richard and Angela Bennett. The building was designed to serve young children and has continued to be used for that purpose. Mr. Bennett served on the board of directors of the YMCA of the Rockies/Estes Park Center for 13 years in addition to serving on YMCA national, Omaha and Nebraska boards. Over fifty years later, the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Bennett still benefits the children of the Estes Park area and the guests of the YMCA.
Mission - The mission of the YMCA Bennett Preschool is to provide quality early childhood care and education for the children of both YMCA of the Rockies employees and the families who live in the Estes Valley. The staff models and teaches the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith when developing the child’s emotional, social, physical, and cognitive development.
Philosophy - We believe that children are capable, competent, and creative people in their own unique way and deserve the right to learn about all the wonders of their environment through play and exploration. Our belief about the child’s right to play and explore is why we are inspired by the Reggio Approach to learning as well as the outdoor school approach to education. The inherent need to be in and a part of our natural world is a gift we continue to appreciate by creating our classroom environment outdoors as much as we do indoors. The location of our preschool at the YMCA of the Rockies is practically inside Rocky Mountain National Park and being outdoors in our natural environment is a treasured asset to our program.
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1032, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Preschool Director
Estes Park Center
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Full Time