EXPLORE Gap Progam (February - June, 2018)
What is EXPLORE?
Open to participants ages 18 -25, our EXPLORE program will provide a variety of experiences designed to build your personal and professional skills through training sessions and outdoor adventures, while working in a genuine Rocky Mountain location.
Participants will have both structured and free-time opportunities to explore the Rocky Mountains and nurture their enthusiasm for the outdoors. Our 5000 acre property is surrounded by over one million acres of National Forest and Wilderness Areas, making it an outdoor enthusiast’s playground. Our training sessions will incorporate outdoor activities to assist in facilitating the session in a fun experiential ways. In addition to the structured sessions there are additional opportunities to receive CPR and Serve Safe certifications.
How Does It Work?
EXPLORE is group-focused and will develop a close-knit community among participants and leaders. Participants will meet regularly in small groups to develop bonds of friendship and fellowship.
What Distinguishes the YMCA of the Rockies EXPLORE Program from other Gap Programs?
1) Program Dates:
EXPLORE is offered in two independent four-month semesters. A participant is not encouraged to repeat the program.
- Spring 2018 Semester: February, 2018 – June, 2018
- Fall 2018 Semester: August 2018 – December, 2018
Official Dates To Be Determined.
2) Program Fees:
Participants that successfully complete our program will be eligible to stay on as YMCA employees for up to 4 additional months within the department they started the program or another department of interest.
The program fee is $500. Fifty dollars of this fee is payable at the time of application. The program fee helps to defray the costs of training sessions, transportation, and other expenses.
3) The location
Located near Winter Park, Rocky Mountain National Park & Grand Lake, Snow Mountain Ranch offers a wholesome environment where friends, families & groups enjoy a tranquil setting, more activities than anywhere else & quality time together. Every season brings fun and excitement for the entire family. Whether you are looking for adventure or a relaxing stroll, we can set you on your way.
What Can Participants Expect to Gain?
EXPLORE participants will emerge with greater self-confidence, self-awareness and a sense of purpose, along with memories of great places throughout Colorado. They will learn communication techniques, team building, leadership, conflict resolution and setting goals for where you want to go from here. Through an employment experience in a mission-based, not-for-profit organization participants will gain an understanding as to how their work positively impacts our guests, and greater enthusiasm for the Rocky Mountains.
Participants will complete the program better prepared to face upcoming challenges such as starting/finishing college, applying for/engaging in employment opportunities, living independently and exploring the world. They will live and learn as part of an intentional community within our YMCA center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort – limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year round destination family resorts on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property. We hire year round staff, plus hundreds of seasonal staff and college interns every year that want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please contact our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4221, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXPLORE Gap Progam
Snow Mountain Ranch
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Seasonal