Food Service Worker - International Intern/Trainee
Phase 1 - Orientation
Objective: Orientation will serve as the foundation for the participant to begin to gain knowledge in departments ranging from the kitchen to the dining room to catering. The participant will become familiar with the YMCA of the Rockies Snow Mountain Ranch which services up to 2100 guests/staff per day during the busy seasons. The Food Service Department manages three different venues. The department operates year round and strives to ensure serving excellence to both guests and staff at Snow Mountain Ranch.
Tasks: The first weeks of participant's training will be spent covering the following: YMCA Orientation, YMCA Policies, Service Essentials and Procedures; Kitchen Orientation, location of kitchens, tools, china, etc.; Introductions to personnel and facilities, teaching of basic culinary skills, sanitation and safety rules.
Phase 2 - Kitchen Operations
Objective: The objective of this phase is to provide the participant an understanding of the general policies, standards and procedures of the kitchen facilities and equipment, including the overall functioning of the facility, as well as safety procedures for equipment in order to set the foundation for success in future phases.
Tasks: Through practical training and shadowing, the participant will perform the following tasks: plan and prepare a menu for an entire week, make estimates of ingredient amounts needed for that menu without being wasteful, place food orders, conduct inventories, manage the preparation of the food, organize storage areas and food stock management, and create and organize the preparations for the cold buffet lines. These tasks will be under the supervision and guidance of the Food Service Manager.
Phase 3 - Front of House Management: Buckboard Grill
Objective: The participant will learn how to supervise and train up to 15 employees, prepare and organize the schedules and job assignments, perform inventory, supervise cashiering procedures and money management.
Tasks: Through practical training, the participant will manage the organization of activities in the Buckboard Grill including supervising a crew to set up refreshment orders, fill sack lunch requests and attend to guests. The participant will prepare and organize the employee schedules and job assignments. The participant will supervise cash management procedures, take inventory of supplies and food and place orders as needed.
Phase 3 - Front of House Management II: Skinny Ski Caf
Objective: Building upon previous kitchen, dining room management and employee management skills, the participant will learn and independently manage overall operations of the Skinny Ski Cafe.
Tasks: The participant will be given illustrative tasks to learn how to supervise and train the staff at the Skinny Ski Cafe underneath the guidance of the Food Service Director. The participant will take key learnings and independently plan, develop and implement a daily menu for the Skinny Ski Cafe that caters to the needs of this specialized clientele.
Additional Phase Remarks: The participant will have mandatory classes during the Fall, Winter and Spring seasons as part of their training program. The classes will cover a variety of topics. The leadership of the YMCA of the Rockies will hold classes on the operations of a hospitality business such as the YMCA of the Rockies, the financial processes of a non-profit that makes $25 million per year, how both Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch operate, basic notions on philanthropy and the importance of donations for the YMCA of the Rockies. There will also be speakers talking about professional skills necessary in the participant's future career such as Conflict Management, Diversity, Marketing, Public Speaking, Creating and Using High Performing Teams, and Maintaining Healthy Relationships in the Workplace. The participant will also learn about personal skills that are key in becoming independent such as how to Budget, Resume and Interview Skills. The participant will have to do 2 presentations, one in a local school about their home country and culture, and one in front of YMCA of the Rockies leadership and coworkers about YMCA in their home country.
- The phases order and dates might change.
- Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
- Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call Polly Gallagher at 970-887-2152 ext. 4111, or email email@example.com.
Food Service Worker - International Intern/Trainee
Snow Mountain Ranch
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Seasonal