Food Service Worker - International Intern/Trainee
Phase 1 - Introduction
Objective: The YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, is an 860 acre resort conference center. The Food Service Department serves over 4,000 guests and prepares up to 8,000 meals per day during the peak season. The participant will have the role of Food Service International Intern, being introduced to the YMCA of the Rockies mission, policies and procedures as well as learning how the Food Service Department delivers great meals and customer service to the guests at the YMCA of the Rockies.
- The participant will attend YMCA Estes Park Center Orientation.
- The participant will attend the International Training Orientation to learn about training program regulations and American culture.
- The participant will attend a Food Service Orientation, learning the different Food Service dining areas as well as the kitchen.
- The Food Service Manager will deliver the training called "Service Essentials and Procedures".
- The Food Service Manager will introduce the participant to the Food Service personnel to learn the structure of the department.
- The Food Service Manager will train the participant in Sanitation and Safety rules.
Phase 2 - Front of the House Operations
Objective: The Estes Park Center has four dining rooms in order to serve over 4,000 guests at peak times. The participant's role will be to observe and learn how the Estes Park Center manages these Front of the House Operations.
Tasks: The participant will observe specific supervision and training activities of employees in different areas of the dining room. The participant will learn the preparation and organization of employee schedules and job assignments by shadowing the Food Service Manager as he/she prepares them. The participant will learn all money management procedures through training by Food Service managers. Through shadowing the Banquet Captain, the participant will learn methods for special event preparation including menu set-ups and planning, room preparation, serving banquets and billing of groups.
Phase 3 - Kitchen Management
Objective: The Kitchen at the Estes Park Center has a staff of 8 chefs in order to serve meals up to 4,000 guests. The participant will develop skills and knowledge in the various facets of Kitchen Management observing these chefs.
Tasks: The participant will learn the following skills and knowledge under the guidance of the Food Service Manager who will assign specific projects to illustrate how to:
- Make a weekly menu preparation, delegate responsibilities, and organize the presentation of the menu.
- Make estimates of ingredient amounts needed for that menu without being wasteful.
- Place food orders.
- Conduct inventories.
- Manage the preparation of food, organize storage areas and food stock management.
- Operation of baking equipment.
- Understand the safety procedures for baking equipment.
- Bake a variety of breads, desserts, and cakes.
- Learn the basics of Food Decoration.
Phase 4 - Rustic Caf
Objective: Located in the Administration Building at the Estes Park Center, the Rustic Cafe is a perfect place to grab a fresh sandwich, salad, or a cup of soup before heading out for a hike. Wake up early and sip a cup of coffee or espresso from the Coffee Cart. It serves a wide variety of breakfast options and to-go meals for lunch or dinner. In this phase, the participant will have the chance to put all of their management and leadership skills into practice at the Rustic Cafe.
Tasks: The participant will begin this phase by developing an understanding of the daily operations of a family lodging center cafe by receiving training on organizing and preparing cafe services. The participant will be given illustrative tasks to learn how to supervise and train employees. The participant will also learn specific skills for operating our outdoor food shelter. The participant will organize schedules and job assignments under the supervision of the Food Service Manager. The participant will perform inventory and learn ordering and pricing procedures. The participant will also train staff to operate our outdoor food service shelter. The participant will learn all of the Health Department Rules and Regulations.
Phase 5 - Banquets and Catering
Objective: The participant will be learning how the Estes Park Center delivers and manages special events including weddings.
Tasks: The participant will focus on 3 mains areas during this phase, planning and preparation, set up and execution, and professionalism and guest services. They will learn to follow these tasks by working with both the Chefs and the Banquet Captain. In the kitchen, the participant will learn how to plan a menu, follow banquet event orders and delivery reports, follow health and safety regulations, as well as how to prepare and store food. The participant will shadow the Banquet Captain working with the conference office and clients to plan and successfully run events. The participant will learn to use Maestro as well as learn how to maintain contact through email or phone with clients. The participant will learn how to read a banquet event order for event set up information and set events based off those banquet event orders. The participant will learn how to work a special event, proper cake cutting technique and special event adequate.
Additional Phase Remarks
The participant will have mandatory classes during the Fall, Winter and Spring seasons as part of their training program. The classes will cover a variety of topics. The leadership of the YMCA of the Rockies will hold classes on the operations of a hospitality business such as the YMCA of the Rockies, the financial processes of a non-profit that makes $25 million per year, how both Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch operate, basic notions on philanthropy and the importance of donations for the YMCA of the Rockies. There will also be speakers talking about professional skills necessary in the participant's future career such as Conflict Management, Diversity, Marketing, Public Speaking, Creating and Using High Performing Teams, and Maintaining Healthy Relationships in the Workplace. The participant will also learn about personal skills that are key in becoming independent such as how to Budget, Resume and Interview Skills. The participant will have to do 2 presentations. One in a local school about their home country and culture, and one in front of YMCA of the Rockies leadership and coworkers about the YMCA in their home country.
- The phases order and dates might change.
- Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
- Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform polo shirts will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and black pants. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic caf, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1214, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Service Worker - International Intern/Trainee
Estes Park Center
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Seasonal