Guest Service - International Intern/Trainee
Guest Registration is where our guests' first and last impressions are made of the Estes Park Center YMCA of the Rockies, since it's where they check in and check out as well as call or stop by for directions and information on our campus and things to do and places to go in Estes Park. The satisfaction of our guests is our top priority, and we make every effort to exceed their expectations.
Phase 1 - Orientation
Objective: The YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center is a non-profit Family Resort Conference Center on 860 acres that can host up to 4,000 guests at one time. The YMCA provides not only lodging in the form of cabins, lodge rooms, or family reunion cabins, but also meals and a variety of outdoor activities. The participant will be a Guest Services trainee learning how the YMCA of the Rockies operates a successful non-profit organization in the hospitality industry.
Tasks: During Orientation the participant will be introduced to Guest Registration, the Conference Office, the Kitchen, Buildings and Grounds, Housekeeping, Conference Setup and Support, our Chapel and Chaplain, Sweet Memorial and the Administration building. The participant will attend the Estes Park Center HR full-day orientation to learn about the YMCA of the Rockies, its history, policies, procedures, etc.
The participant will learn about the reservations system as it relates to our groups and receive in-depth training and preparation for group arrivals. The participant will learn beyond the black and white in providing excellent guest service with professionalism.
The participant will learn tasks through shadowing the front desk supervisors. The participant will learn to complete financial transactions including check-ins, check-outs, balancing a drawer and evaluating a transaction shift report for the deposit to be turned into our cashier. The participant will learn to check-in and out family/individual and groups as well as making family/individual reservations for walk-in guests. The participant will be taken on a guided tour to visit one or two of our lodge rooms, cabins and meeting spaces. The participant will learn how to make keys, verify room assignments, verify meeting rooms, check room rosters, create meal tickets and prepare some legal documents for our groups including tax affidavits. The participant will begin attending formal classroom sessions led by leadership such as the CEO and the CFO at the YMCA of the Rockies in order to learn about running an 860 acre property with over 700 lodge rooms, over 215 cabins, over 40 meeting rooms, and 10 reunion cabins, in addition to our recreational facilities throughout our campus.
Phase 2 - Guest Registration
Objective: As stated in Phase 1, the YMCA of the Rockies can host over 4,000 guests in one evening. The participant will be a trainee in Guest Services focusing on learning our resort management software and how a large conference center manages its information and guest registration.
Tasks: The participant will learn by shadowing front desk supervisors and then through hands on training while being shadowed. We will teach the participant the intricacies of our guest registration system including check-in/out, making adjustments, adding/removing items, and many other functions within our guest registration system.
Phase 3 - Guest Services/Departmental Visits Stage 1
Objective: The YMCA of the Rockies offers more than just lodging for families, it also hosts very large conferences as well as weddings. The participant will be exploring these different areas of guest services. The participant will continue to train in the guest services department as their main function.
Tasks: While continuing their training in guest service, the participant will visit the conference department, group sales and spend time with our wedding/banquet coordinator. We may adjust the dates that trainees visit these departments.
Phase 4 - Guest Services/Departmental Visits Stage 2
Objective: The participant will continue to explore the different areas within guest services during this phase. Not only is the YMCA of the Rockies a family conference center, but it is also a non-profit organization. An additional role that the participant will have is to participate in the International Training Classes taught by leaders within our organization. The participant will continue to train in the guest services department as their main function.
Tasks: While continuing the participant training at the front desk and in guest services, the participant will also track deposits made by each department, verify account balances and analyze/run reports from other departments.
Phase 5 - Guest Services - Back Office Function
Objective: The participant will be a guest services trainee learning the back office functions of the guest services department. The participant will continue to train in the guest services department as their main function.
Tasks: The participant will have shadowed the night auditor in the previous stage, learning to generate, review and distribute Maestro specific reports. The participant will continue back office training in reviewing guest departure reports to prepare charges for the next day. The participant will learn how the inventory control process relates to internal cash control. The participant will also see some of our accounting policies for Estes Park Center. The participant will attend a quarterly safety meeting led by our risk manager Dave Francis.
Additional Phase Remarks
The participant will have mandatory classes during the Fall, Winter and Spring seasons as part of their training program. The classes will cover a variety of topics. The leadership of the YMCA of the Rockies will hold classes on the operations of a hospitality business such as the YMCA of the Rockies, the financial processes of a non-profit that makes $25 million per year, how both Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch operate, basic notions on philanthropy and the importance of donations for the YMCA of the Rockies. There will also be speakers talking about professional skills necessary in the participant's future career such as Conflict Management, Diversity, Marketing, Public Speaking, Creating and Using High Performing Teams, and Maintaining Healthy Relationships in the Workplace. The participant will also learn about personal skills that are key in becoming independent such as how to Budget, Resume and Interview Skills. The participant will have to do 2 presentations. One in a local school about their home country and culture, and one in front of YMCA of the Rockies leadership and coworkers about the YMCA in their home country.
- Top-notch organizational skills, being fastidiously tidy, unrelenting attention to accuracy, detail, set procedures, processes, policies, and systems - all while keeping an orderly and tidy work station and paperwork in the midst of an often-frenetic pace
- Superior computer proficiency and ability to learn new programs quickly
- Superb guest service and problem-solving (sleuthing) skills and ability to see and take care of stocking brochures and supplies,
- An ever-optimistic, positive, cheerful, and helpful attitude, unwavering patience with other people, a warm and smiling countenance, plus a zeal for excellence, are characteristics we expect of our staff
- Excellent, clear written and verbal communication with good customer service skills
- Ability to be flexible in a dynamic business environment and adapt to quickly changing circumstances
- Ability to count cash quickly & correctly; cashiering experience preferred
- A high level of professionalism
- Be able to lift 20 lbs. to table height
- Stamina to mostly stand during an 8-hour shift
- Excellence in service with professionalism, helpfulness, cheerfulness, and understanding
- Checking guests in and out of accommodations
- Use the PBX telephone system
- Answer a variety of questions
- Use office equipment
- Collect payments and provide change for guests
- Some daily cleaning duties
- Work in concert with nearly every department to ensure that the needs and wants of our guests and staff are met
- Comply with the YMCA of the Rockies' standards of performance and conduct as detailed in the Seasonal Handbook and the Guest Registration Policy Handbook
- All other duties as assigned, including working in other departments as required
- The phases order and dates might change.
- Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
- Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- Will be required to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Three uniform shirts will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe black shoes and black or khaki pants. Jeans, sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Discounted gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic caf, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1047, or email EPCInternational@ymcarockies.org
Guest Service - International Intern/Trainee
Estes Park Center
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Seasonal