Museum Assistant - Volunteer - (Room & Board Included!)
We are looking for Musuem Volunteers anytime from October 2017 until May 2018. Please indicate your available dates on your application!
REPORTS TO: Association Museums Director and Historian
The Museum Assistant is responsible for assisting the Museum Director in the day-to-day operation of the Dorsey Museum and providing high quality programs for guests and staff at the Dorsey Museum. In the absence of the Director, they must assume responsibility of executing the essential functions of this position without supervision.
The essential functions of this position include upholding the mission of the YMCA of the Rockies and the Lula W Dorsey Museum, learning and sharing the history of the YMCA of the Rockies with guests at the Museum, opening and closing the museum, greeting guests, conducting programs for groups of all ages (including a short hike around the grounds), demonstrating various artifacts, light cleaning and yard work, cataloging artifacts, filing and word processing.
As an On-Grounds Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season.
- Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April.
- Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas.
- Enjoy working with people of all ages including children
- Be prepared to walk up and down 2 flights of stairs multiple times per day
- Be able to walk up to 1.5 miles at a leisurely pace outdoors (leading walking tours)
- Lift up to 20 lbs.
- Open and close the Museum daily
- Learn and deliver museum programs including but not limited to:
- History walks,
- Rebekah's trunk,
- Let's Go to Camp, and
- tours in the Museum
- Welcome all visitors and provide an introduction to the Museum
- Track daily number of guests
- Provide safety and security for the Museum artifacts and for guests using the Museum
- Provide modest cleaning/upkeep of the museum
- Assist with light yard work
- Assist Museum Director and Museum Intern with collections projects including accessioning artifacts, storing artifacts and researching new acquisitions to the collection
- Complete research projects on various topics relevant to YMCA of the Rockies history
- Assist Museum Director with exhibit gallery changes
- Write research summaries and present research findings to interested staff as requested
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
Note: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
As a volunteer, there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic caf, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1032, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Museum Assistant - Volunteer - (Room & Board Included!)
Estes Park Center
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Part Time