Job Title: Adventure Activities Director
Employee Classification: Year-Round, Benefitted
Revision Date: 8/2021
Reports to: Program Director
The Adventure Activities Director is responsible for the Hiking Program, Climbing Wall Facilitation, the Biking Program, the Gear Shop, and the Mountain Center Desk. This position hires, trains, and supervises staff in all aspects of Adventure Activities, while also facilitating and developing programs to benefit guests. This person also oversees the Work and Adventure Gap Program, responsible for developing curriculum and scheduling activities for gap year participants.
Hourly Pay Range: $19.00/hour-$21.50/hour
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
- Maintain hiking schedules and organize hiking destinations on an annual basis.
- Maintain numbers and other data to submit annual reports on hiking to proper agencies.
- Provide care and maintenance of climbing wall and bike equipment.
- Monitor for proper policies and procedures to ensure safety measures are met.
- Ensure high quality guest service for desk attendants and facilitators.
- Hire, train, schedule and supervise seasonal employees and volunteers throughout the year.
- Develop and maintain budget for Adventure Activities.
- Purchase and inventory Gear Shop supplies and all Rental Equipment.
- Develop Work and Adventure Gap Program Curriculum and schedule of activities.
- Provide oversite for Work and Adventure Gap Program Facilitator.
- Initiate and conduct Work and Adventure Gap Program interviews.
- Lead hikes and facilitate climbing wall sessions as needed.
- Work with Outdoor Education Director to keep facility clean and organized.
- Possess documented climbing wall, biking, and hiking experience. ACCT Level 2 certification preferred.
- Possess and maintain CPR and Wilderness First Aid. Instructor Certification preferred.
- Possess the ability to manage multiple projects at once and provide leadership for a staff of 5-50.
- Must have excellent communication skills, including speaking in front of large groups of guests.
- Knowledge of Rocky Mountain National Park and nearby USFS land required.
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds including age, race, gender, faith, and socio-economic level.
- Must be fluent in speaking English.
- Bilingual preferred.
- Must possess a high level of organization and be task/detail oriented.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Basic computer office skills including Excel, Publisher, Adobe Acrobat, and Word.
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Enthusiasm for constant Program Department development and offerings expected.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
- All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift 60 lbs and up to 4 feet.
- Ability to hike 2-20 miles per day outdoors on trails of varying levels of maintenance and in a variety of weather conditions.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.