Adventure Activities Director - Year-Round
Job Title: Adventure Activities Director - Estes Park Center
Employee Classification: Year-Round, Benefited Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Program Director Revision Date: 7/2018
Leadership Level: Team Leader
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 150, 000 guests annually. The Adventure Activities Director supervises and trains staff in all aspects of Adventure Activities, while also facilitating and developing programs to benefit guests.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* Maintain all course devices in good working order.
* Schedule annual inspection of all course devices.
* Maintain state registration of all course devices for Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch.
* Maintain all course logs and documentation.
* Train, supervise, schedule, provide professional development opportunities for and evaluate seasonal staff and volunteers in the responsibilities of providing Adventure Activities to guests and Desk Attending in the Mountain Center. Provide leadership for a staff of 4-40 people.
* Plan, develop and implement Adventure Activities programs for guests for all seasons.
* Organize and manage the daily functions of the Mountain Center and daily cash reports.
* Develop and maintain the budget for Adventure Activities.
* Work closely with the Buildings and Grounds Department to develop and maintain a comprehensive trails system.
* Maintain detailed records of programs and attendance.
* Coordinate staff activities with the Resident Coordinator.
* Must be extremely organized with impeccable accuracy and attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
* Ability to work independently, take initiative, be self-directed and make good decisions.
* Ability to communicate visually and orally while fluent in speaking, writing and reading English.
* Manage and prioritize multiple tasks and challenges simultaneously, in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions, distractions and deadlines.
* Advanced knowledge of computers for maintaining database, spreadsheets and providing general correspondence. Knowledge of Microsoft software (i.e. Word, Excel, and Publisher.)
* Must be able to work a flexible schedule as the hours may vary and will include weekends, evenings and holidays.
* Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
* Must have documented climbing, high and low ropes course, zipline and biking experience.
* Must possess and maintain ACCT Level 2 Certification.
* Minimum one year supervisory experience in ropes course management.
* Must possess and maintain current CPR and WFA certifications.
* Current Instructor certifications for Wilderness First Aid and CPR required.
* Experience supervising all aspects of training, evaluating, disciplining and development of staff.
* Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
* Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
* Ability to operate office equipment: computer, telephone, copier, scanner, label maker, etc.
* Ability to oversee and complete projects in a timely manner.
* Enthusiasm for constant Program Department development and offerings.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMNTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
* Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
* Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Be able to bend, stoop, kneel, walk, hike on uneven terrain for 2 miles.
* Ability to climb stairs, frequently get up and down from desk, move throughout lodges and meeting facilities.
* The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
* The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 60 pounds up to 4 feet.
* The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.
Job Status: Full Time