Aquatics Director - Year-Round
Job Title: Aquatics Director - Estes Park Center
Employee Classification: Year-Round, Benefited Status: Exempt
Reports to: Program Director Revision Date: 7/2018
Leadership Level: Team Leader
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 150, 000 guests annually. The Aquatics Director supervises and trains staff in all aspects of the pool. The Aquatics Director will develop, coordinate and administer aquatics programs to benefit the guests, staff and community of the Estes Park Center.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* Certify, train, supervise, schedule, provide in service and professional development for and evaluate a seasonal staff of lifeguards, a head guard and volunteers. Provide leadership to a staff of 4-16 people.
* Plan, develop and implement aquatics programs centered toward the whole family on a year round basis.
* Plan, develop and implement swim lessons for staff, guests, Bennett Preschool and the Estes Park community.
* Provide training and certification opportunities for staff, guests and the Estes Park community.
* Coordinate with other departments to schedule programs for groups and special events as needed.
* Maintain overall care of pool facility and equipment, and work closely with Buildings and Grounds to maintain the safety of the pool.
* Develop and maintain the budget for the aquatics department.
* Must be extremely organized with impeccable accuracy and attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
* Ability to work independently, take initiative, be self-directed and make good decisions.
* Maintain adequate inventory of pool equipment and repair equipment as necessary.
* Maintain detailed records of programs and attendance.
* Ability to communicate visually and orally while fluent in speaking, writing and reading English.
* Must be able to work a flexible schedule as the hours may vary and will include weekends, evenings and holidays.
* Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
* Bachelor’s degree in Recreation or related field, and three years lifeguard and pool supervisory experience required.
* Current Lifeguard and WSI certifications required.
* Current Instructor certifications for Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR, AED and Oxygen Administration required.
* Possess or be willing to obtain Certified Pool Operator qualification.
* Experience supervising all aspects of training, evaluating, disciplining and development of staff.
* Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
* Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
* Ability to oversee and complete projects in a timely manner.
* Enthusiasm for constant Program Department development and offerings.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMNTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
* Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
* Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Be able to walk, sit, stand, squat and crawl into a laying position.
* Ability to utilize hands and wrists with high dexterity to use all common hand and power tools.
* Ability to climb stairs, frequently get up and down from desk.
* The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise aquatic activities.
* The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
* The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.
Job Status: Full Time