Job Title: Buildings and Grounds - Volunteer - SMR/EPC
Employee Classification: Seasonal
Revision Date: January, 2021
Reports to: Crew Supervisor in Buildings & Grounds
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center serving more than 150,000 guests annually. A Building and Maintenance Volunteer responds to issues in guest and staff lodges and cabins and completes basic plumbing, heating, electrical and carpentry repairs. He/she also performs preventative maintenance and completes and submits Work Requests. A Volunteer may also help with trash removal, recycling, litter pick-up, yard work and snow removal. Working outside is required in varied weather conditions. Work hours are scheduled between 7.30 am and 10.00 pm.
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Shovel snow from walks, porches, stairs and roofs (primarily October to April).
* Assist year-round employees and follow their instructions on projects which may include basic carpentry, painting, plumbing, landscaping, and cleaning.
* Maintain a clean and safe work area at all times.
* Learn to repair minor problems in facilities including changing light bulbs, install screens and unclog toilets. Unclogging toilets includes hand-auguring a toilet up to 5 times in an 8 hour shift.
* Pick up trash on assigned route and dispose of properly.
- Up to 100 bags per 8 hour shift.
- Bags may way up to 50 lbs. but most will be under 25.
- Bags must be lifted into a flatbed pickup truck and then lifted out of the truck or tossed into a
* Plan and prioritize projects and work time for efficiency.
Requisition parts, materials and tools necessary to perform tasks assigned.
* Work Night Maintenance shift when needed.
* Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English and have good hearing and eyesight abilities to accomplish tasks assigned.
* Lift and carry objects up to 100 lbs. up to 48" off the ground.
* Work on your feet and knees for an eight-hour shift, inside and outside, sometimes in extreme conditions. Frequently bending over and working with arms extended overhead.
* Excellent public relations, time management, and organizational skills required.
* Communicate current and upcoming projects with the Building Maintenance Supervisor and other departments as necessary.
* Work from ladders, scaffolding, on roofs, and in crawl spaces and attics.
* Operate a variety of hand and power tools.
* Must be a team player in support of organizational goals and objectives.
* Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.