Job Title: CCO Camp Driver Volunteer - SMR
Employee Classification: Seasonal
Revision Date: January, 2021
Reports to: Travel Coordinator/Leadership Training Program (LTP) Director
Spends Saturdays and Sundays driving campers to/from Denver International Airport which is a journey of approximately 100 miles each way. Organizes drop-off and pick-up and is responsible for passenger safety. Needs to be comfortable with excited young people and have the patience to cope with them. Weekday responsibilities include driving backcountry groups to/from trailheads, running local errands and driving sick/injured staff/campers to medical facilities. Volunteer must be over 21 years old, possess a valid USA driver's license, have an acceptable driving record and be an approved driver of our 14 passenger mini-buses.
Required Volunteer Dates: June 2021-August 2021
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
- Drive appropriate camp vehicles safely to assigned destinations.
- Maintain weekly inspection, vehicle log, and cleaning of vehicles being used by Camp Chief Ouray with assistance from the Travel Coordinator.
- Drive and escort campers along with other assigned personnel to and from the airport for arrivals and departures on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Drive campers and staff to and from trailheads for the departure and pick up of all Leadership Program and/or Adventure Program groups.
- Perform shopping/purchasing errands for camp as needed.
- Perform transportation to medical clinics as needed.
- Perform other errands as needed, including, but not limited to, mail, package pick-up/drop off and laundry.
- Maintain accurate records and receipts of all monies used in performing job.
- Assure that camp photos, evaluations, any medications or remainders of care packages for campers departing each session by air are obtained from the office each week.
- Meet as needed, daily and weekly, with Travel Coordinator to constantly evaluate travel needs.
- Meet daily with Travel Coordinator to confirm schedules and trips.
- At the end of the season, write a brief report and evaluation of summer from the Travel perspective including facilities, equipment and recommendations for the future.
- Assist with maintenance of facility if time permits.
- Assist stay over staff and campers as needed on weekends.
- Assist in daily evening programs, as time permits.
- Assist with camp service projects, as time permits.
- Assist with dishes, as time permits.
- Assist with cabin coverage if needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a clean driving record and hold a Driver's License appropriate for vehicles (15-passenger vans, camp trucks and passenger cars) driven.
- Must be dependable and organized.
- Participate in pre-camp staff training including Driver Training.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
- All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.