CCO Camp Driver Volunteer
JOB DESCRIPTION: Camp Driver Volunteer - ON GROUNDS
Reports To: Travel Coordinator/Leadership Training Program (LTP) Director
Spends Saturdays and Sundays driving campers to/from Denver International Airport which is a journey of approximately 100 miles each way. Organizes drop-off and pick-up and is responsible for passenger safety. Needs to be comfortable with excited young people and have the patience to cope with them. Weekday responsibilities include driving backcountry groups to/from trailheads, running local errands and driving sick/injured staff/campers to medical facilities. Volunteer must be over 21 years old, possess a valid USA driver's license, have an acceptable driving record and be an approved driver of our 14 passenger mini-buses.
- 9 weeks for first time volunteer in this position; Summer only
- As an On-Grounds Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season. Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April. Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a clean driving record and hold a Driver's License appropriate for vehicles (15-passenger vans, camp trucks and passenger cars) driven.
- Must be dependable and organized.
- Participate in pre-camp staff training including Driver Training.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
- Drive appropriate camp vehicles safely to assigned destinations.
- Maintain weekly inspection, vehicle log, and cleaning of vehicles being used by Camp Chief Ouray with assistance from the Travel Coordinator.
- Drive and escort campers along with other assigned personnel to and from the airport for arrivals and departures on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Drive campers and staff to and from trailheads for the departure and pick up of all Leadership Program and/or Adventure Program groups.
- Perform shopping/purchasing errands for camp as needed.
- Perform transportation to medical clinics as needed.
- Perform other errands as needed, including, but not limited to, mail, package pick-up/drop off and laundry.
- Maintain accurate records and receipts of all monies used in performing job.
- Assure that camp photos, evaluations, any medications or remainders of care packages for campers departing each session by air are obtained from the office each week.
- Meet as needed, daily and weekly, with Travel Coordinator to constantly evaluate travel needs.
- Meet daily with Travel Coordinator to confirm schedules and trips.
- At the end of the season, write a brief report and evaluation of summer from the Travel perspective including facilities, equipment and recommendations for the future.
- Assist with maintenance of facility if time permits.
- Assist stay over staff and campers as needed on weekends.
- Assist in daily evening programs, as time permits.
- Assist with camp service projects, as time permits.
- Assist with dishes, as time permits.
- Assist with cabin coverage if needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform shirts or vest will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and trousers. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Pinewood Lodge: A smaller dorm facility that can house up to 75 staff and is attached to our administration building. This is our 40+ housing, primarily serving our volunteer community. Rooms are doubles and can accommodate a couple. Each room has a full bathroom. There is a TV lounge with refrigerator and microwave. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
- Geronimo Campground: A campground with 26 sites ranging from 15-50 Amps. All sites have electric hook ups while others have additional water and/or sewer. Geronimo camp sites are open from mid-May to mid-September depending on the weather.
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, library, and an art center
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy) and various local restaurants
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have served at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ and provide volunteer positions for people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4111, or email email@example.com.
CCO Camp Driver Volunteer
Snow Mountain Ranch
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Internship, Volunteer