Do you possess a servant’s heart that is focused on the needs of others?
Do you possess compassion for all people and desire to foster a strong community?
Do you possess a healthy self-awareness of your strengths, weaknesses, values, emotions and feelings and are able to set aside your personal biases?
If you answer yes to all of the above then you are someone we’d love to have as one of our servant heart volunteers.
Reports To: Executive Camp Director & CCO Year Round Maintenance Staff
Camp Chief Ouray has approximately 270 campers per week aged 7 to 17. The camp operates for 9 weeks each summer. The Camp Chief Ouray Facilities Volunteer responds to issues in guest and staff lodges and cabins and completes basic plumbing, heating, electrical and carpentry repairs. He/she also performs preventative maintenance and completes and submits Work Requests. A Volunteer may also help with trash removal, recycling, litter pick-up, yard work and snow removal. Working outside is required in varied weather conditions.
- Please plan to serve a minimum 6 weeks between May 1 - September 15
- To receive room & board as a Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season. Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April. Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas
- Already have room & board? Please plan to serve a minimum of 8 hours per week to enjoy other YMCA of the Rockies perks.
- YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
- Lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs. up to 48 off the ground.
- Work on your feet and knees for an eight-hour shift, inside and outside, sometimes in extreme conditions.
- Climb ladders, scaffolding and work on roofs.
- Operate a variety of hand and power tools.l.
- Assist year-round employees and follow their instructions on projects which may include basic carpentry, painting, plumbing, landscaping, and cleaning.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area at all times.
- Learn to repair minor problems in facilities including changing light bulbs, install screens and unclog toilets.
- Unclogging toilets includes hand-auguring a toilet up to 5 times in an 8 hour shift.
- Pick up trash on assigned route and dispose of properly.
- Up to 100 bags per 8 hour shift
- Bags may way up to 50 lbs. but most will be under 25.
- Bags must be lifted into a flatbed pickup truck and then lifted out of the truck or tossed into a trash compactor.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
Note: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center. - Is this allowed for volunteers - I think required is my concern. Does the last sentence added above work to erase this statement?
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform shirts will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and work trousers in good repair. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Pinewood Lodge: A smaller dorm facility that can house up to 75 staff and is attached to our administration building. This is our retired senior housing, primarily serving our volunteer community. Rooms are doubles and can accommodate a couple. Each room has a full bathroom. There is a TV lounge with refrigerator and microwave. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
- Geronimo Campground: A campground with 26 sites ranging from 15-50 Amps. All sites have electric hook ups while others have additional water and/or sewer. Geronimo camp sites are open from mid-May to mid-September depending on the weather.
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, library, and an art center
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy) and various local restaurants
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.