Job Title: Chaplain’s Assistant Volunteer - EPC/SMR Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Classification: Volunteer Revision Date: January 2021
Reports to: Chaplain
The Chaplain’s Assistant Volunteer provides administrative, telephone and office support to the Chaplain's Department and assists and supports the Chaplain and Associate Chaplain with worship services. In summer volunteers lead the Campground Worship and may also help with children's programs. Visits with guests and staff and encourages participation in worship, other programs and activities sponsored by the Chaplain's Department. Monitors staff computing equipment in the Religious Activities Center (RAC) and alerts SMR's IT staff to any technical problems. Ensures computer supplies are available. Maintains an attractive and clean appearance in Whispering Pines Chapel and the RAC. Assists the Chaplain and Associate Chaplain in other areas as needed.
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Assist with ecumenical worship services, reunions, retreats, weddings, etc.
* Plan and implement staff religious activities at EPC/SMR and events that are held at remote locations.
* Maintaining a positive Christian Attitude and Lifestyle.
* Act as receptionist and secretary at the Chaplain's Office.
* Maintain cleanliness and order in the Chapel, RAC and Chaplain's Office.
* Other duties as assigned.
* High school graduate (or GED equivalence) and two years of higher education completed.
* Previous experience leading and participating in church activities.
* Operate computer, including the Microsoft Suite. Willingness to learn about computer maintenance
* Operate office equipment including, but not limited to, telephone, copiers, computers.
* Demonstrate the ability to read, write and speak English.
* Good telephone communication skills.
* Able to use a variety of cleaning chemicals and equipment.
* Outgoing personality and representative of the Chaplain and Spiritual Programs.
* Ability to speak before a group.
* Flexible to deal with a variety of circumstances and challenges.
* Open working with all persons of all faiths and nationalities.
* Enjoys working with persons. Demonstrating Christian compassion and support.
* Able to maintain confidentiality.
* Ability to complete duties assigned on a priority basis and to be accountable for your work ("autograph your work with excellence")
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.