Chef - Year Round
*Housing is Available*
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 225,000 annually. The Chef is responsible for all aspects of the food service and kitchen operations at the YMCA of the Rockies Camp Chief Ouray. This will include; the ordering of products, inventory control, management of high-quality food service, supervision and training of staff and monitoring food and equipment costs. For the remainder of the year the Chef will work in our Snow Mountain Ranch Food Service operations.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
Compensation Package & Employee Perks:
This is a full-time, year-round position with full benefits including:
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- Participation in YMCA Retirement Plan (an additional 12% contribution by YMCA)
- Housing is available
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges for family & friends
- Ski passes
- Free or discounted gear rentals for outdoor adventures
- To view all benefits and perks, visit our Career Site and click the View Work Perks tab, https://jobs.ymcarockies.org/year-round-jobs.
- Have at least three years’ experience in banqueting, catering and/or food service
- Strong leadership qualities and minimum of two years supervisory and training experience.
- Price and order food supplies and equipment necessary for the camp food service operation in coordination with the Food Service Director and Executive Chef
- Using information provided to you from Maestro and the Snow Mountain Ranch Conference department develop accurate forecast of camper foodservice needs on a daily, weekly and monthly basis to assist in the staff scheduling and budgeting process
- Monitor and correct Paycom Web Time Sheets to assist in the control of labor costs
- Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times
- Create a safe space for all campers, families, and staff. Promote safe work practices to allow for development and growth for all.
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Operate within developed budget.
- Effectively coordinate with the Food Service Director to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and seamless cooperation between front of house and back of house operations.
- Train, develop, supervise and evaluate employees to ensure maximum productivity is attained, morale is at a high level and excellent customer service is delivered. Monitor scheduling, time keeping and training for Food Service personnel. Set performance and accountability standards and follow through with evaluation of performance.
- Handle guest issues and problems in a professional and patient manner.
- Order supplies and equipment necessary for the food service operation in coordination with the Food Service Director.
- Prepare and maintain all front of house food service areas to ensure the best utilization of the facilities and staff to meet customer needs.
- Responsible for compliance with all Federal, State and Local Health Codes and overall quality assurance in the dining areas.
- Direct all aspects of serving, presentation, cleanliness, supply ordering, inventory and record keeping of dining areas while ensuring guest service excellence at all times.
- Have excellent time management and organizational skills
- Be fluent in written and oral English
- Maintain a neat, clean, professional appearance and presentation
- Work holidays, weekends and morning or evening shifts
- Able to work eight-hour shifts on concrete floors and lift 40 pounds up to 36-inch-high tables
- Have basic computer skills and develop knowledge of property management software
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
- All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Working in a kitchen environment
- Standing for long periods of time
- Working outside in all weather
- Various levels of noise; from none to very loud equipment or music
- Carrying large objects, stooping, kneeling and bending
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.