Day Camp - Teen Counselor
Under the direction of the Day Camp Director and direct supervisor, the Day Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing core and non-core programs and experiences for teens in a small group setting, providing high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences that focus on the YMCA of the Rockies’ Core Values, and ensuring the general safety and development, growth and skill achievement of participants.
Our Mission and Culture:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Responsible for participating in our Teen Outpost Program which involves an overnight stay.
- Ability to model wholesome, Christian behavior
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, swimming, archery, hiking, scavenger hunts, etc.
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for assigned camp group
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance
- Know, understand and follow all emergency procedures associated with the day camp program
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for campers’ safety and whereabouts at all times
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp leadership
- Ensure that day camp sites are kept clean, organized, and free of litter
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field required
- Experience working with children required
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, swimming, team building activities, campfires, skits, and physical games
- Must enjoy working with young children
- Must have the ability to restrain and physically support children weighing 50-200 pounds when needed for safety in general camp activities
- Upon hire, must complete YMCA-provided First Aid and CPR certification, and for some positions, Wilderness First Aid certification
- Must be fluent in speaking and writing English.
- Must possess strong organizational and communication skills
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on uneven terrain.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
- All other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to work outdoors in all weather, hiking large distances over varied terrain.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and carry up one (1) flight of steps.
- Short bursts of stooping, kneeling, bending, standing for long periods of time, etc.
- Prolonged periods at a computer and on the phone.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.