YMCA of the Rockies - Estes Park Center
Job Description - Day Camp Volunteer
Job Title: Day Camp Volunteer Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Classification: Seasonal Reports to: Youth Programs Director
The YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world.
At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of
individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
The Day Camp Volunteer is responsible for assisting in programming for K-6 grade children in a small group setting, providing high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences that focus on the YMCA of the Rockies’ Core Values, and ensuring the general safety and development, growth and skill achievement of participants.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Day Camp Volunteer Essential Functions / Requirements:
* Must be at least 18 years old
* Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field required
* Ability to assist with planning, organizing, and implementing program activities
* Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
* Strong role model skills
* Must possess strong organizational and communication skills
* Fluent in speaking, writing and reading English
* Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities
* Must have the ability to restrain and physically support children weighing 50-200 pounds when needed for safety in general camp activities
* Identify and respond to camper behavior issues
* Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance
* Know, understand and follow all emergency procedures associated with the day camp program
* Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for campers’ safety and whereabouts at all times
* Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp leadership
* Ensure that day camp sites are kept clean, organized, and free of litter
Other Functions / Requirements:
* Assist in the success of all Programs as needed
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties,
responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.