Discover Gap Program Hospitality Apprenticeship
2023 Discover Program Dates
July 24, 2023
January 31, 2024
The Program: The Discover Gap Program at YMCA of the Rockies provides young adults with a variety of experiences designed to learn the non-profit hospitality industry while gaining essential life skills. The key components of this apprenticeship are work experience in hospitality (rotating through departments at YMCA of the Rockies), team building with other participants and staff from around the world, and life lessons not necessarily taught in higher education.
Highlights of the Discover Gap Program: This program is FREE! In addition to no program fee or application fee, Discover participants earn money throughout the program as they’ll be working in a seasonal position at our resort & conference center next to Rocky Mountain National Park. They will earn $13.06/hour and automatically opt-into the Rocky Mountain Living Package which includes room & board, access to all YMCA of the Rockies facilities, ski and golf passes, gear rentals for outdoor adventures, employee programming including staff trips, discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges for family & friends, and transportation around Winter Park, CO and the surrounding areas. These living costs will be automatically deducted from paychecks, which means participants do not need to worry about paying utilities and rent on-time each month. The work week is 32-36 hours and remaining hours are for activities and training opportunities. A customizable work experience is available to all Discover Participants, as well as travel assistance to the program. Discover offers workshops and trainings around resume building, team building, and opportunities for mountain adventures in Rocky Mountain National Park and Winter Park Resort. Participants that successfully complete our program will be eligible to stay on as YMCA employees for up to 2 additional months or can apply for available year-round positions.
Who should apply for Discover? Those who recently graduated from high school (or have their GED), and those who haven’t graduated high school but are between the ages of 18- 21 years old.
- Paid seasonal employment, rotating through various hospitality departments (Food Services, Housekeeping, Conference Services Set-up/Building & Grounds)
- Recreational opportunities (both scheduled and informal) to explore Rocky Mountain National Park and our stunning locale
- Opportunities for deeper reflection and relationship-building
- Service opportunities through impactful organizations
- A week-long service trip
- Regularly-scheduled small-group workshops and training sessions on topics of interest
- Opportunities to continue working at the Snow Mountain Ranch for up to 2 additional months as seasonal, or pursue a full-time opening with us
- One extended camping trip
- Weekly activities and events to take place with the Discover group that will encompass adventures to National Parks, white water rafting, horseback riding, museum visits and much more
Program Outcomes: DISCOVER participants will emerge with greater self-confidence, self-awareness and a sense of purpose. Participants will have the opportunity to engage in diverse experiences and learn to lead with heart. This is a place where nature inspires and quality time happens naturally. Our serene surroundings of Rocky Mountain National Park will provide moments of tranquility and a greater appreciation for the outdoors. Time management skills and learning to be a team-player will be gained from having a job with us. Participants will complete the program better prepared to face upcoming challenges such as starting/finishing college, applying for/engaging in employment opportunities and living independently. They will live and learn as part of an intentional community within our YMCA center. Our property is near Rocky Mountain National Park, Winter Park, and Grand Lake - an outdoor enthusiast's playground. Planned excursions will allow participants to hike, climb, snowshoe and enjoy other outdoor pursuits. We will provide a variety of training and certification opportunities (which may include CPR, Wilderness First Aid, etc.). DISCOVER is group-focused and will develop a close-knit community among participants and leaders. Participants will meet regularly in consistent small groups and will develop bonds of friendship and fellowship.
About YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round destination family resorts on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, Estes Park Center, and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property. We hire year-round staff, gap year students, plus hundreds of international seasonal staff and college interns every year who want to experience the mountains and support our mission of building a healthy spirit, mind, and body.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith in all functions.
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards