Discover Mission Gap Program - Mar 3-May 23, 2020 - (R&B provided)
DISCOVER: MISSION PROGRAM DATES: MARCH 2, 2020-MAY 23, 2020
Discover: Mission is a twelve-week program with an emphasis on community service, outdoor adventure, and job experience in the hospitality industry. The first 10 weeks will be spent at Snow Mountain Ranch and the last 10 days will be spent in the Dominican Republic for a service trip. The months of March and April will be spent working a full-time seasonal job in the hospitality industry while regularly meeting with your Discover: Mission participants developing bonds of friendship and fellowship. You will also be learning life skills to better prepare you for the service trip. This program is perfect for those looking to use their servant hands for something bigger than themselves. Applications are now open! This program is designed for participants age 18-22 years old.
DISCOVER: Mission participants will emerge with greater self-confidence, self-awareness and a sense of purpose. They will learn time management skills and the responsibilities that come with having a job. Through meaningful service, our participants will give back to others. Through an employment experience in a mission-based, not-for-profit organization participants will gain an understanding as to how their work positively impacts our guests. A greater appreciation of the out-of-doors and the Rocky Mountains will be gained.
Participants will complete the program better prepared to face upcoming challenges such as starting/finishing college, applying for/engaging in employment opportunities and living independently. They will live and learn as part of an intentional community within our YMCA center.
Participants will have both structured and free-time opportunities to enjoy the multitude of recreational activities available in our stunning Rocky Mountain locale. Planned excursions will allow participants opportunities to hike, ski, snowshoe and enjoy other outdoor pursuits. We will provide a variety of training and certification opportunities (which may include CPR, WFA, etc.).
DISCOVER: Mission is group-focused and will develop a close-knit community among participants and leaders. Participants will meet regularly in consistent small groups and will develop bonds of friendship and fellowship.
DISCOVER: Mission Components:
- Seasonal employment (40 hours/week) in a guest service focused departments (food service or housekeeping)
- Work is hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $230/week, including:
- Room (housing includes internet access/electric/heat/water--no bills!--in a dormitory building)
- Board (3 buffet style meals 7 days per week)
- YMCA of the Rockies family membership access while you're employed (our facilities include a pool, gymnasium, climbing wall, fitness classes, trails, roller rink, and a Craft Shop)
- Other employee perks include free skiing/snowboarding/mountain biking/golf (dependent on season and resort) at Winter Park Resort and other resorts.
- Recreational opportunities (both scheduled and informal) to explore Rocky Mountain National Park and our stunning locale
- Opportunities for reflection and relationship-building
- A 10-day service trip to the Dominican Republic
- Regularly-scheduled small-group workshops and training sessions on topics of interest
- Opportunities to continue working at Snow Mountain Ranch for up to 4 additional months as seasonal, or pursue a full-time opening with us
Program Dates & Fees:
DISCOVER: Mission is offered as a twelve-week program. The first ten weeks will be spent at Snow Mountain Ranch preparing for the service trip as well as working full-time in one of our hospitality departments. A ten-day service trip to the Dominican Republic will take place May 11-May 21. The general time frame will be::
- Colorado Rockies Work & Prep: March 4 - May 10
- International Service Trip: May 11 - May 21
- End of Program: May 24
The program fee is $1,500. $150 dollars of this fee is payable upon acceptance into program. 50% of the program fee ($750, including deposit) is due by March 1st, 2020. The remaining fee can be paid for through payroll deduction or will be due April 1st, 2020. The program fee includes:
- Airfare for international trip
- Food and lodging while in the Dominican Republic
- Activity costs for exploring Colorado.
PASSPORT REQUIREMENT: Participants must have a valid passport by the program start date (March 2nd, 2020). Your passport expiration date must be at least 6 months beyond the trip return date of May 21, 2020.
What Distinguishes the YMCA of the Rockies DISCOVER: Mission program from other Gap Year programs?
- The Cost. Not only is the enrollment fee ($150) lower than most, you actually have the opportunity to earn the fees back, because during your two-month program you will be working 40 hours per week at Snow Mountain Ranch. As a result of your work you will receive room, board, and an hourly wage plus employee perks. The total program cost is $1500.
- The length: Our three-month program will allow participants to take part in other gap year opportunities (before or after your DISCOVER: Mission experience) OR will allow you to stay on in a seasonal staff role after the program has concluded.
- The location. DISCOVER: Mission participants will live with one or more roommates in a dormitory, with access on property to a pool and other recreational opportunities. Snow Mountain Ranch is located on 5,000 acres in the heart of the Colorado Rockies.
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email email@example.com.
Job Status: Seasonal