Dog Sled Musher - Seasonal
Job Title: Dog Sled Musher / Program Staff
Employee Classification: Seasonal
Reports To: Chaplain / Program Supervisor
Position Summary: This position requires a love for dogs, building a strong relationship with the dogs, enjoyment for being outdoors, and working a physical job. You will be responsible for helping to care and feed our 20 dog team doing daily chores, driving the dog sled and more. The right person will have experience working with animals, survival skills and working outdoors.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Assist Lead musher with fall training as scheduled
- Build strong relationships with all dogs
- Train to be efficient at driving the dog sled Ride Days
- Help unload dogs and place on the picket line
- Inspect feet, joints, underarms etc. for any needed attention
- Inspect the hook ups to make sure everything is correct
- Do safety inspection of equipment
- Help feed and water dogs
- Help clean up after dogs
- Help harness and dogs and hook up to the sled
- Have positive interactions with the guests riding on your sled
- Be able to make judgements about watering, snacking, or replacing any dogs
- After rides assist with unhooking dogs and putting back on the picket line
- Help feed and water
- Help put all equipment away
- Help load dogs back into the truck
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, $5.75 hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Status: Seasonal