ELEVATE GAP PROGRAM
Our ELEVATE program will provide young people with a variety of experiences designed to build confidence and to provide life skills training. The three components of this program are employment experiences in the hospitality industry (rotating through departments in our resort), outdoor adventures, and meaningful community service.
This program is designed for participants age 18-22 years old.
Program Date: August 10, 2020 - December 04, 2020
* Paid seasonal employment, rotating through Guest Service focused departments (Food Service and Housekeeping)
* Recreational opportunities (both scheduled and informal) to explore Rocky Mountain National Park and our stunning locale
* Opportunities for deeper reflection and relationship-building
* A week-long service trip
* Regularly-scheduled small-group workshops and training sessions on topics of interest
* Opportunities to continue working at the Estes Park Center for up to 4 additional months as seasonal, or pursue a full-time opening with us
Program Outcomes: ELEVATE participants will emerge with greater self-confidence, self-awareness and a sense of purpose. Participants will meet all walks of life and learn to lead with heart. This is a place where nature inspires and quality time happens naturally. Our serene surroundings of Rocky Mountain National Park will provide moments of tranquility and a greater appreciation for the outdoors. Time management skills and learning to be a team-player will be gained from having a job with us.
Participants will complete the program better prepared to face upcoming challenges such as starting/finishing college, applying for/engaging in employment opportunities and living independently. They will live and learn as part of an intentional community within our YMCA center.
Our property is bordered on three sides by Rocky Mountain National Park - an outdoor enthusiast's playground. Planned excursions will allow participants to hike, climb, snowshoe and enjoy other outdoor pursuits. We will provide a variety of training and certification opportunities (which may include CPR, Wilderness First Aid, etc.).
ELEVATE is group-focused and will develop a close-knit community among participants and leaders. Participants will meet regularly in consistent small groups and will develop bonds of friendship and fellowship.
What Distinguishes the YMCA of the Rockies ELEVATE Program from other Gap Year programs?
1. The Cost. Not only is the enrollment fee ($50) lower than most, you actually have the opportunity to earn the fees back, and put money away in savings, because during your four-month program you will be working 40 hours per week at the Estes Park Center in a variety of hospitality-focused jobs. As a result of your work, you will receive room, board, and an hourly wage plus employee perks. The program cost (after enrollment fee) for the program is $550.
2. The length. Our four-month program will allow participants to take part in other gap year opportunities (before or after your ELEVATE experience) OR will allow you to stay on in a seasonal staff role.
3. The location: The Estes Park Center is surrounded on 3-sides by Rocky Mountain National Park and is located just about an hour away from Boulder and Fort Collins. ELEVATE participants will live with one other roommate in dormitories, with access on property to a pool, gymnasium, fitness track, tennis courts, mini-golf, 18-hole disc golf, roller rink, biking and hiking trails, and many other recreational opportunities.
YMCA of the Rockies: The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round destination family resorts on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property. We hire year-round staff, gap year students, plus hundreds of seasonal staff and college interns every year that want to experience the mountains and support our mission of building a healthy spirit, mind, and body.
ELEVATE PARTICIPANT COMPENSATION:
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $240/week with employee perks including:
* Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free Wi-Fi and no bills)
* Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days a week)
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and a Craft and Design Center.
* Free ski passes to check-out.
* Discounted gear rentals for sports and outdoor recreation.
* Employee programming including free or discounted staff trips.
* Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges
ELEVATE is offered in two four-month semesters. Each is separate and independent. The general time frame follows.
* Fall Semester: August - December
* Spring Semester: January - May
Participants that successfully complete our program will be eligible to stay on as YMCA employees for up to 4 additional months.
The program fee is $600. Fifty dollars of this fee is payable at the time of application. The program fee helps to defray the costs of training sessions, activity fees and other expenses.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith in all functions.
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
* Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
Please contact our Gap Program Supervisor, Spider Fish at 970-586-3341 ext. 1071 or email email@example.com