ELEVATE Gap Program (Spring 2020)
ELEVATE PROGRAM DATES: JANUARY 13 2020-MAY 8 2020
Our ELEVATE program will provide young people (ages 18-22) with a variety of experiences designed to build confidence and to provide life skills training. The three components of this program are employment experiences in the hospitality industry (rotating through departments in our resort), outdoor adventures, and meaningful community service.
ELEVATE participants will emerge with greater self-confidence, self-awareness and a sense of purpose. They will learn time management skills and the responsibility that come from having a job. Through meaningful service, our participants will give back to others. Through an employment experience in a mission-based, not-for-profit organization participants will gain an understanding as to how their work positively impacts our guests. A greater appreciation of the out-of-doors and the Rocky Mountains will be gained.
Participants will complete the program better prepared to face upcoming challenges such as starting/finishing college, applying for/engaging in employment opportunities and living independently. They will live and learn as part of an intentional community within our YMCA center.
Participants will have both structured and free-time opportunities to enjoy the multitude of recreational activities available in our stunning Rocky Mountain locale. Our property is bordered on three sides by Rocky Mountain National Park - an outdoor enthusiast's playground. Planned excursions will allow participants to hike, climb, snowshoe and enjoy other outdoor pursuits. We will provide a variety of training and certification opportunities (which may include CPR, WFA, etc.).
ELEVATE is group-focused and will develop a close-knit community among participants and leaders. Participants will meet regularly in consistent small groups and will develop bonds of friendship and fellowship.
- Seasonal employment (40 hours/week) while rotating through guest service focused departments (food service and housekeeping)
- Work is hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $230/week, including:
- Room (housing includes internet access/electric/heat/water--no bills!--in a dormitory building)
- Board (3 buffet style meals 7 days per week)
- YMCA of the Rockies family membership access while you're employed (please note that our facilities include a pool, gymnasium (no weight equip.), climbing wall, fitness classes, trails, roller rink, and a Craft and Design Center)
- Other employee perks including free skiing/snowboarding/mountain biking/golf (dependent on season and resort) at Winter Park Resort and other resorts.
- Recreational opportunities (both scheduled and informal) to explore Rocky Mountain National Park and our stunning locale
- Opportunities for deeper reflection and relationship-building
- A week-long service trip
- Regularly-scheduled small-group workshops and training sessions on topics of interest
- Opportunities to continue working at the Estes Park Center for up to 4 additional months as seasonal, or pursue a full-time opening with us
Program Dates & Fees:
ELEVATE is offered in two four-month semesters. Each is separate and independent. The general time frame follows.
- Fall Semester: August - December
- Spring Semester: January - May
Participants that successfully complete our program will be eligible to stay on as YMCA employees for up to 4 additional months.
The program fee is $600. Fifty dollars of this fee is payable at the time of application. The program fee helps to defray the costs of training sessions, activity fees and other expenses.
What Distinguishes the YMCA of the Rockies ELEVATE program from other Gap Year programs?
- The Cost. Not only is the enrollment fee ($50) lower than most, you actually have the opportunity to earn the fees back, and put money away in savings, because during your four month program you will be working 40 hours per week at the Estes Park Center in a variety of hospitality-focused jobs.. As a result of your work you will receive room, board, and an hourly wage plus employee perks. The program cost (after enrollment fee) for the program is $550.
- The length: Our four-month program will allow participants to take part in other gap year opportunities (before or after your ELEVATE experience) OR will allow you to stay on in a seasonal staff role.
- The location. ELEVATE participants will live with one other roommate in dormitories, with access on property to a pool, gymnasium, and many other recreational opportunities. The Estes Park Center is located just about an hour away from Boulder.
- The Estes Park Center (EPC) is located at 8,000 feet above sea level on 860 acres, just 10 minutes outside the town of Estes Park. Bordered on three sides by Rocky Mountain National Park, the EPC is perfectly located for those interested in an active, outdoors lifestyle! It's usually sunny, with incredible mountain views in all directions.
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $230/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and a Craft and Design Center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Assistants Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, Craft and Design Center, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our Gap Program Coordinator, Spider Fish at 970-586-3341 x1071, or email email@example.com
Job Status: Seasonal