Environmental Education Director
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 150, 000 guests annually. The Environmental Education Director manages the booking and facilitating of school groups, and hires, trains, and supervises staff.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
- Responsible for the quality of the Environmental Education (EE) Program with a goal of re-booking school groups and booking new groups.
- Hire, train, supervise, schedule, provide professional development opportunities for and evaluate seasonal staff and volunteers in the responsibilities of providing Environmental Education programs. Provide leadership to a staff of 1 – 40 people.
- A high degree of human relation skills in working with staff, volunteers, parents, youth, co-workers, students, teachers, administrators and guests required.
- Must connect Environmental Education curriculum to Colorado State Educational Standards and revise as needed.
- Develop and maintain the EE budget year-to-year and responsible for year-end results.
- Develop an effective training schedule for Environmental Education. Maintain staff schedules.
- Maintain and systematically monitor safety procedures.
- Exhibit excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Assist in the turnover of lodging for students participating in the program.
- Develop and advance Environmental Education programming to keep up with current trends in the field.
- Maintain needed paperwork and software systems required to facilitate EE programs.
- Manage and prioritize multiple tasks and challenges simultaneously, in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions, distractions and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Education, Science or related field preferred; or equivalent experience accepted.
- Minimum two years of general program and facilitation experience required.
- Must possess and maintain current CPR and WFA certifications. Instructor certification preferred.
- Involvement in local, state and/or national Environmental Education networks.
- Experience with marketing to school groups preferred.
- Experience supervising all aspects of training, evaluating, disciplining and development of staff.
- Must be extremely organized with impeccable accuracy and attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, be self-directed and make good decisions.
- Ability to communicate visually and orally while fluent in speaking, writing and reading English.
- Proficiency working with software systems and registrations. Advanced knowledge of computers for maintaining database, spreadsheets and providing general correspondence. Knowledge of Microsoft software (i.e. Word, Excel, and Publisher.)
- Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
- Ability to operate office equipment: computer, telephone, copier, scanner, label maker, etc.
- Ability to oversee and complete projects in a timely manner.
- Enthusiasm for constant Program Department development and offerings.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule as the hours may vary and will include weekends, evenings and holidays.
- Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMNTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism is required
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
- All other duties as assigned.