Environmental Education Instructor
Under the direction of the Environmental Education Director, Environmental Education Instructors will teach environmental education classes, lead team-building activities, perform organization and cleaning tasks, communicate with schools and school leaders, and assist in any projects or tasks that better the Outdoor Education Program.
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff, and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind, and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect a constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and faith.
Instructors receive three paid-for certifications: Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Project Learning Tree (PLT), and Better Environmental Education Learning Teaching Expertise Sharing (BEETLES). Along with two weeks of staff development training on natural history, team building, adventure, lesson planning, EDI, working with students with disabilities, and so much more!
All staff at the YMCA of the Rockies get to participate in staff engagement outings such as hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, and visiting landmarks around Colorado.
- Participate in Environmental Education training.
- Obtain Wilderness First Aid (in Environmental Education Training)
- Facilitate 3-hour Environmental course to 6th-12th grade, following state and national standards.
- Predict, prevent, identify and respond to safety issues.
- Assist in program development and advancement.
- Participate in cleaning and setting up dorms for students between 4-8 hrs. a week
- Possess an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Education, Science, Environmental Studies, Biology, or similar area of study.
- Experience working with Children is required.
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Must be fluent in speaking English
- Must possess current First Aid and CPR certification
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
- All other duties as assigned, such as housekeeping
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to eight miles on uneven terrain