Do you possess a servant’s heart that is focused on the needs of others?
Do you possess compassion for all people and desire to foster a strong community?
Do you possess a healthy self-awareness of your strengths, weaknesses, values, emotions and feelings and are able to set aside your personal biases?
If you answer yes to all of the above then you are someone we’d love to have as one of our servant heart volunteers.
Position Summary: Teaches ‘bait and bobber’ fishing to adults and children. Requires some knowledge of this type of fishing. An ability to teach casting for fly fishing will also be useful. Needs to be comfortable leading and supervising groups at waterside/reservoir and providing participants with an enjoyable and safe experience. Needs excellent customer service skills and preparedness to learn and operate a point of sale system if not already known. On occasion may be asked to help out with the bike rental program which is located in the same building.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of basic fishing, including, but not limited to, rod ‘n reel and fly including equipment, technique, and water safety.
- Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
- Ensure that the bike shop is open daily at 9:00 AM and is covered through closing at 5:00 PM; responsible for opening and closing procedures.
- Enforce bike shop policies and accurately execute within bike shop systems.
- Knowledge of bike shop retail items, rental equipment and service options available to guests (product knowledge).
- Knowledge of local fish and reservoir features.
- Knowledge of trail system and trail orientation.
- Knowledge and cross-promotion of other departments at Snow Mountain Ranch including, but not limited to, the Family Programs, Day Activities, Lodging and Cabins, Horse and Operations, year round recreational activities, group and cooperate coordination, events, Snow Mountain Ranch history, and local businesses and general ranch and local information.
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for the sport.
OTHER FUNCTIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Communicate regularly with the Nordic Director.
- Provide accurate information to our guests and ensure a positive guest experience.
- Fill out all paperwork completely and correctly.
- Maintain schedules and accurate time cards
- Learn and execute flawless point of sale procedures.
- Answer the phone timely, accurately, and with enthusiasm.
- Record all messages for staff accurately and ensure delivery.
- Ensure cleanliness, upkeep, and excellent presentation of the bike shop environs.
- All other duties as assigned.
This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform shirts will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and work trousers in good repair. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Pinewood Lodge: A smaller dorm facility that can house up to 75 staff and is attached to our administration building. This is our senior housing, primarily serving our volunteer community. Rooms are doubles and can accommodate a couple. Each room has a full bathroom. There is a TV lounge with refrigerator and microwave. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
- Geronimo Campground: A campground with 26 sites ranging from 15-50 Amps. All sites have electric hook ups while others have additional water and/or sewer. Geronimo camp sites are open from mid-May to mid-September depending on the weather.
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, library, and an art center
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy) and various local restaurants
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.