Position Summary: Teaches ‘bait and bobber’ fishing to adults and children. Requires some knowledge of this type of fishing. An ability to teach casting for fly fishing will also be useful. Needs to be comfortable leading and supervising groups at waterside/reservoir and providing participants with an enjoyable and safe experience. Needs excellent customer service skills and preparedness to learn and operate a point of sale system if not already known. On occasion may be asked to help out with the bike rental program which is located in the same building.
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Knowledge of basic fishing, including, but not limited to, rod ‘n reel and fly including equipment, technique, and water safety.
- Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
- Ensure that the bike shop is open daily at 9:00 AM and is covered through closing at 5:00 PM; responsible for opening and closing procedures.
- Enforce bike shop policies and accurately execute within bike shop systems.
- Knowledge of bike shop retail items, rental equipment and service options available to guests (product knowledge).
- Knowledge of local fish and reservoir features.
- Knowledge of trail system and trail orientation.
- Knowledge and cross-promotion of other departments at Snow Mountain Ranch including, but not limited to, the Family Programs, Day Activities, Lodging and Cabins, Horse and Operations, year round recreational activities, group and cooperate coordination, events, Snow Mountain Ranch history, and local businesses and general ranch and local information.
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for the sport.
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies and programs.
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members and staff.
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
Other Functions / Requirements:
- Communicate regularly with the Nordic Director.
- Provide accurate information to our guests and ensure a positive guest experience.
- Fill out all paperwork completely and correctly.
- Maintain schedules and accurate time cards
- Learn and execute flawless point of sale procedures.
- Answer the phone timely, accurately, and with enthusiasm.
- Record all messages for staff accurately and ensure delivery.
- Ensure cleanliness, upkeep, and excellent presentation of the bike shop environs.
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions.
- Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment.
- All other duties as assigned.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position.
This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a volunteer position, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Discounted gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.