Job Title: Fishing Instructor (Summer Only) - Volunteer - SMR
Employee Classification: Seasonal
Revision Date: January, 2021
Reports to: Programs Supervisor
Teaches ‘bait and bobber’ fishing to adults and children. Requires some knowledge of this type of fishing. An ability to teach casting for fly fishing will also be useful. Needs to be comfortable leading and supervising groups at waterside/reservoir and providing participants with an enjoyable and safe experience. Needs excellent customer service skills and preparedness to learn and operate a point of sale system if not already known. On occasion may be asked to help out with the bike rental program which is located in the same building.
Required Position Dates: May 2021-September 2021
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Knowledge of basic fishing, including, but not limited to, rod ‘n reel and fly including equipment, technique, and water safety.
* Demonstrate the ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
* Ensure that the bike shop is open daily at 9:00 AM and is covered through closing at 5:00 PM; responsible for opening and closing procedures.
* Enforce bike shop policies and accurately execute within bike shop systems.
* Knowledge of bike shop retail items, rental equipment and service options available to guests (product knowledge).
* Knowledge of local fish and reservoir features.
* Knowledge of trail system and trail orientation.
* Knowledge and cross-promotion of other departments at Snow Mountain Ranch including, but not limited to, the Family Programs, Day Activities, Lodging and Cabins, Horse and Operations, year round recreational activities, group and cooperate coordination, events, * * Snow Mountain Ranch history, and local businesses and general ranch and local information.
* Demonstrate an enthusiasm for the sport.
* Must have a valid driver’s license and to be able to drive to the reservoir located on grounds.
* Communicate regularly with the Nordic Director.
* Provide accurate information to our guests and ensure a positive guest experience.
* Fill out all paperwork completely and correctly.
* Maintain schedules and accurate time cards
* Learn and execute flawless point of sale procedures.
* Answer the phone timely, accurately, and with enthusiasm.
* Record all messages for staff accurately and ensure delivery.
* Ensure cleanliness, upkeep, and excellent presentation of the bike shop environs.
* All other duties as assigned.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.