Gift Shop - Volunteer, Winter 2018/2019 (Room & Board Included)
Reports To: Gift Shop Supervisor
Ensures Gift Shop presents an appealing aspect to potential customers and is tidy and clean including glass display cases and windows. Sells merchandise, operates electronic cash register and maintains attractive displays. Position requires a high level of customer service skills because of the amount of customer interface. Regularly has to lift up to 25 lbs. weight to table height.
- 4 weeks minimum in this position
- As an On-Grounds Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season. Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April. Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas
- Possess a positive attitude towards serving guests and staff at all times.
- Speak English fluently.
- Operate the cash register, telephone and credit card machine.
- Able to work all shifts including morning/afternoon, afternoon/evening, splits, and mid-day shifts. Schedule will include weekends and holidays and will vary from week to week.
- Perform basic math functions with calculator.
- Lift 20 pounds from floor to table height.
- Maintain an accurate and balanced "Daily Income Report."
- Maintain accurate accountability of money in cash box and register. Able to count back change to customer.
- Clean facilities and equipment. Maintain a neat and well-organized work area.
- Restock merchandise throughout scheduled shift.
- Complete opening and closing procedures as outlined in handbook.
- Take initiative and find things to do during slow times.
- Learn and implement pricing procedures on incoming merchandise.
- Perform daily inventory procedures.
- Able to move throughout the gift shop and remain on your feet for an eight-hour shift.
- Participate in annual inventory (early January).
- Move merchandise from attic storage to Gift Shop as needed.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment.
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform shirts or vest will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and trousers. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Pinewood Lodge: A smaller dorm facility that can house up to 75 staff and is attached to our administration building. This is our 40+ housing, primarily serving our volunteer community. Rooms are doubles and can accommodate a couple. Each room has a full bathroom. There is a TV lounge with refrigerator and microwave. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
- Geronimo Campground: A campground with 26 sites ranging from 15-50 Amps. All sites have electric hook ups while others have additional water and/or sewer. Geronimo camp sites are open from mid-May to mid-September depending on the weather.
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, library, and an art center
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy) and various local restaurants
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have served at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ and provide volunteer positions for people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Status: Internship,Volunteer