Grounds Maintenance Crew Leader - Year Round
POSITION SUMMARY: This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center serving more than 150,000 guests annually.
The Grounds Maintenance Crew Leader is responsible for assisting the Grounds Maintenance Supervisor in supervising seasonal crews in the upkeep and projects of the Estes Park Center grounds and landscaping.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE: We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
- Supervise seasonal crews in landscaping, seeding, fencing, irrigation, tree management and trail work projects.
- Maintain roads, ditches and culverts year-round.
- Plan and prioritize projects and work time for efficiency.
- Upkeep of existing improved areas and improvements on new areas.
- Operate and maintain underground sprinkler systems.
- Plant and care for flowers, trees, shrubs and grass as assigned by the Grounds Maintenance Supervisor.
- Work on various other tasks outside the grounds maintenance field during the off-season as required by the Superintendent of Buildings & Grounds.
- Recommend actions to be taken to improve and effectively maintain the grounds of the Estes Park Center to the Grounds Maintenance Supervisor.
- Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
- Minimum of a high school diploma.
- Possess supervisory skills, follows read and follow instructions, sketches and diagrams in English and work independently.
- Knowledge of planting and caring for flowers, trees, shrubs and grass required.
- Must have experience using small power and hand tools and equipment including lawn tractors and mowers, weed eaters, and chain saws.
- Must read and follow sketches and diagrams in English.
- Must follow written and oral instructions.
- Experience using tractors, skid steer loaders, and backhoes preferred but not required.
- Excellent public relations, time management, and organizational skills required.
GENERAL YMCA REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
- All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Work from ladders, scaffolding, on roofs, and in crawl spaces and attics.
- Possess stamina for physically strenuous all day work, including lifting, reaching, pulling, bending, shoveling, digging, raking and chain sawing.
- Work while standing during shift with frequent bending over and working with arms extended overhead.
- Physical effort with occasional heavy lifting and carrying of objects up to 100 pounds.
- Work indoors and outdoors in varied weather conditions.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.