Head Nordic Trail Groomer
POSITION SUMMARY: The Head Nordic Groomer is responsible for laying down a high-quality snow/trail product. This will be accomplished by operating and maintaining a Nordic grooming equipment fleet including snowmobiles, with pull-behind implements such as track setters and rollers, and when properly trained, the Head Nordic groomer will operate the cat groomer. The Head Groomer will also supervisor other groomers. Groomers are also responsible for on-going trail maintenance during the winter season, which requires the ability to safely operate chainsaws and other trail maintenance equipment.
POSITION AVAILABLE OCTOBER 6, 2020 THROUGH April, 2021
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
- Groom Nordic ski trails, operate snowmobiles, shovel snow, and perform basic equipment maintenance.
- When weather permits, all grooming will be completed in darkness during trail closed hours
- Solve problems with the needs of Snow Mountain Ranch guests and members in mind
- Excellent physical condition
- Work in temperatures as low as -40° F
- Excellent knowledge of cross country skiing, including events/race course development
- Able to work in icy and snowy terrain
- Read and speak English
- Knowledge of Nordic ski equipment
- Excellent public relations skills on telephone and in person
- Certified First Aid and CPR required. Previous experience required
- Knowledge of machinery, proper use and repair
- Ability to work both as a team member and independently
- Possess a valid, USA state issued driver's license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Vehicles and equipment may include standard transmission vehicles and chainsaws.
- The chainsaws are pull-start and the amount of force necessary to pull start them depends on a number of variables.
- Intermediate/Advanced knowledge of snowmobiles and how to drive and operate them in a variety of snow conditions and/or the ability to be trained in the operation of such equipment.
- Operation includes pull starting sleds with high friction/tension on the pull device. The driving position while seated on the sleds puts the driver in a sitting position with outstretched hands at a 30 - 45 degree angle approximately 12 inches above the waist. Driving time could be up to 2-3 hours at a time.
- Possess minimal vehicle maintenance skills in order to keep cat groomer, snowmobiles and light drag equipment in fully functional order.
- Be able to lift up to 50 lbs. 3 feet off the ground
- This will be up to 50 lbs of trees/tree bulbs, slash/timbered wood, grooming equipment.
- Motions with load may include bending with load in hands/arms, carrying load, carrying load in a shovel or off-loading a load from a truck bed up to 3-4 feet off the ground.
- Frequency of doing this function and performing motion with load in hands/arms will occur throughout the day and may occur the entire day. The frequency of this function is ultimately based on the project.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.