Job Title: Hiking Desk Volunteer
Employee Classification: Seasonal Revision Date: December 22, 2020
Reports to: Hiking Supervisor
The Hiking Desk Volunteer provides customer service to guests at the Mountain Center. Hiking Desk Volunteers checking out borrowed hiking equipment, and helping guests with info about guided hikes and the local forest areas. Hiking Desk Volunteers must be able to use our online sign-up system and enter related data.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* Attend and participate in weekly hikemaster staff meetings
* Assist guests at the hiking area in the Mountain Center
* Use a computer to assist guests in enrolling for guided hikes and enter data prior to and after hikes
* Administrative duties related to outgoing guided hikes
* All other duties as assigned
* Must have knowledge of RMNP and surrounding areas
* Must have a high degree of skill working with people of all ages
* Must be at least 21 years old
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* Must be able to work some evenings, weekends and holidays
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
* Must be able to squat, stoop and stand for long periods of time
* Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
?? Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.