Position Summary: Responsible for leading interpretive/educational day hikes of up to 6 hours duration for adults and children.
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Requires the ability to lead interpretive/educational day hikes of up to 6 hours duration for adults and children over a diverse terrain.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification is required.
- Knowledge of mountain ecology is useful. Some evening hours work may be required.
- Previous experience working with people in the service, recreation or teaching areas.
- Ability to work in all environments including outdoors in potentially cold and snowy weather.
- Ability to use a variety of cleaning chemicals.
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work with people of all ages.
Other Functions / Requirements:
- In addition to leading hikes, hiking leaders may be required to work in the Kiva as a rec attendant, tubing hill or other areas in programs to make sure our guest enjoy their experience with Snow Mountain Ranch.
- Hikes will be on property at Snow Mountain Ranch starting at 8,750 above sea level ranging up to 9,700' and 10,600' in altitude. Together with excellent customer service skills, volunteer hike leaders need to be in excellent physical condition.
- Would at times have program facilities related cleaning responsibilities.
- Supervise guests within the facilities for which you are responsible.
- Operate telephone, climbing wall equipment and cleaning equipment.
- Make change and balance cash box.
- Train peers.
- All other duties as assigned.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $240/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.