Hiking - Off Grounds - Volunteer
YMCA of the Rockies - Estes Park Center
Job Title: Hiking Volunteer Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Classification: Seasonal
Reports to: Hiking Supervisor Revision Date: January 2019
The YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
The Hiking Volunteer will lead interpretive hikes in RMNP, the National Forest, and on site to guests. Hiking volunteers will also provide guests with assistance at the hiking desk, and will handle some of the administrative duties required for hikes.
Essential Functions / Requirements:
* Must have up-to-date certifications in Wilderness First Aid and CPR
* Must complete the hiking training prior to leading hikes with guests.
* Must be able to hike 5-20 miles per day in remote areas
* Must have knowledge of RMNP and surrounding areas
* Must have a high degree of skill working with people of all ages
* Must be at least 21 years old
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* Must be able to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays
Other Functions / Requirements:
* Safely lead hikes in various conditions.
* Be able to hike in various terrain for up to 20 miles.
* Must adhere to the hiking schedule and provide assistance at the hiking desk when not leading hikes.
* Must be able to converse with all types of guests while on property
* Must participate in weekly meetings
* Must know and adhere to the policies and procedures of the hiking department
* Must be willing to help guests with questions and make hiking suggestions
* Must be able to use a computer to help with the administrative duties at the hiking desk and assist guests sign up for desired hikes.
* Must be able to handle transactions for rental equipment
* All other duties as assigned
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.
Job Status: Seasonal