The Hiking Supervisor oversees the administration related to the Hiking Program at the Estes Park Center which serves guests and members of multiple ability levels with guided hikes in and around the YMCA grounds, Rocky Mountain National Park and US Forest Service land.
This position is off grounds
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Have previous experience supervising a staff group of 10 or more
- Have up-to-date certifications in Wilderness First Aid and CPR
- Read and speak English fluently
- Know and adhere to hiking policies and procedures set forth by YMCA of the Rockies, Rocky Mountain National Park and US Forest Service
- Successfully completed the Hikemaster In Training (HIT) program
- Be able to hike 5-20 miles per day in remote areas on trails of various levels of difficulty and in a variety of weather conditions
- Periodically lead hikes and evaluate hikes led by Hikemaster staff throughout the summer season
- Knowledge of RMNP, USFS lands and surrounding areas preferred
- Maintain hiking schedules and organize destinations on an annual basis
- Maintain hiking program data using Microsoft Excel and Y program software
- Interview and hire seasonal Hikemaster employees and volunteers
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds including age, race, gender, faith and socio-economic level
- Have a high degree of skill working with people of all ages
- Be at least 21 years old
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
- Be able to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays
Other Functions / Requirements:
- Engage in conversation for long periods of time and keep people involved and educated
- Prepare agenda for and lead weekly hikemaster staff meetings
- Know and adhere to hiking policies and procedures set forth by YMCA of the Rockies
- Answer questions and give guidance and hiking suggestions at hiking desk in Mountain Center
- Use a computer to assist guests in enrolling for guided hikes and enter data prior to and after hikes
- Handle cash/credit cards and use a cash register to record deposits for borrowed hiking equipment and merchandise sales
- All other duties as assigned, including working in other departments as assigned
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
- Staff shirts will be provided and will be worn whenever staff are working
- Shorts or pants must not have holes
- Footwear can be sandals but need to have an ankle strap; ie Chacos or Tevas
- When going horseback riding or hiking, closed-toed shoes are required
- Swim trunks or one piece swim suits are required for swimming
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $12.25/hour. No Room & Board is provided with this position. Other employee perks include:
- One meal per 4 hour shift worked, in our staff dining facility
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and facility)
- 20% discount at our General Store, Rustic Café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of the Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. JOIN US!
Please call our HR office at 970.586.3341 x1032, or email firstname.lastname@example.org