Job Title: History Guide Volunteer Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Classification: Seasonal Revision Date: 01/21/2021
Reports to: Association Historian
The volunteer history guide is responsible for assisting the Association Historian in the day-to-day operation of the historical sites and for providing high quality visitor experiences and history programs for guests. This includes leading guided history walks above 8,000 ft. elevation. In the absence of the Historian, they must assume responsibility of executing the essential functions of this position without supervision.
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Must be able to learn and retain historical facts
* With training lead programs/tours for audiences of various ages
* With direction from Historian undertake research for programs and exhibits
* Independently open and close the historic buildings as directed by the Historian
* Responsible for keeping the buildings and grounds clean and orderly, maintaining a clean working environment for programs and guests
* Responsible for guest services including greeting guests, answer questions, and tracking visitor numbers
* Support our team members in their duties, including leading tours of the YMCA grounds and other programming
* Be at least 21 years old
* Have a strong understanding of, or interest in, American History/History of the US West
* Enjoy working with multigenerational audiences
* Have strong organizational and interpersonal communicational skills
* Have the ability to work independently and as a team member
* Lead a two hour walk at altitude
* Possess basic computer skills
* Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles
* Must possess or be willing to undertake CPR/First Aid training
SNOW MOUNTAIN RANCH SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
* Provide homesteading-themed programming and demonstrations using inquiry-based learning techniques
* Assist the Program Department staff with activities held at the homestead
* Undertake basic maintenance tasks using hand and power tools
* Must be able to work outside in a rustic and uneven setting for long periods of time
* Must have transportation to work at the homestead due to its remote location
ESTES PARK CENTER SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
* Provide tours of the museum using inquiry-based learning techniques
* Support our team members in their duties, including leading tours of the YMCA grounds
* Assist with museum-related programming, including day camp attendees
* Work with Collections Assistant on artifact and archives collections care
* Must be able to walk up and down stairs multiple times a day
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Physically able to walk and work outside at above 8,000 ft
* Short bursts of stooping, kneeling, bending, standing for long periods of time, etc.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.