Job Title: History Program Assistant - Snow Mountain Ranch
Employee Classification: Seasonal (May-September), Full Time Revision Date: 1/2021
Reports to: Association Historian
Leadership Level: Lead Staff
The History Program Assistant assists the historian in all facets of operation of the Rowley Homestead at Snow Mountain Ranch, including minor preservation projects of the historical buildings. The position is primarily responsible for developing and implementing daily historical activities, including the supervision of the Rowley Homestead volunteers in the historian’s absence, and for leading interpretive/educational tours for adults and children. Please note that this position functions primarily outside in a rustic setting and requires working long hours outside at high elevation (8,500+ ft.).
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* With direction from the Museum Director, plan, develop, and lead history programs for our families, guests, and day camp attendees.
* Assist with basic restoration/maintenance projects at the historic homestead.
* Independently open and close the homestead buildings as directed the Historian
* Responsible for keeping the homestead buildings, including educational artifacts, and grounds clean and orderly within the constraints of an early 20th century homestead setting.
* Responsible for visitor services including greeting museum guests, provide tours of the site and other historical areas and answer questions
* Supervise and train volunteers in their duties as interpreters and guides
* Support Program Department activities hosted at the homestead.
* Must be able to work a flexible schedule as hours will vary and will include weekends and holidays
* Be at least 21 years old
* Working towards or completion of a Bachelors’ degree in history, education, social studies, or parks and recreation with an emphasis on informal education and interpretation.
* Previous experience working with people in service, recreation or teaching areas
* Understanding and experience of K-12 education, preferably including in a non-classroom setting
* Ability to remember and share historical facts
* Knowledge of the use of basic hand tools, or a willingness to learn
* Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
* Ability to work independently and as a team member
* Possess office skills, including Microsoft Office Excel and Word
* Possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles
* Possess, or be willing to obtain Red Cross CPR/First Aid Certification
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
* Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
* Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to lift up to 25 pounds and carry up one (1) flight of steps.
* Ability to lead up to 2 hour walks around the YMCA grounds, which is situated at an altitude of 8,500 ft.
* Short bursts of stooping, kneeling, bending, standing for long periods of time, etc.
What we offer:
This is a seasonal position with a base pay rate of $12.82/hour (based on 40 hours/week). This position includes:
Room & Board Options Available
* Room (room in our staff dormitory with wifi, pay laundry facilities)
* Board (3 meals per day, 7 days per week)
Other employee perks and discounts, including:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
* Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.