Internal Communications Manager
This position supports the work of YMCA of the Rockies, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center and overnight summer camp for youth, serving more than 225,000 guests and over 2,200 campers annually.
The Internal Communications Manager will work with the Marketing & Communications Director and Human Resources leadership to develop an effective strategy for communications with employees across the Association. The Internal Communications Specialist will ensure employees of the Association are kept informed, engaged and motivated by communicating through a variety of media. The Internal Communications Specialist will also help to formulate the organizations internal response to crisis situations.
Our Mission and Culture:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
Essential Job Functions / Requirements:
- Establish, implement and manage an internal communications strategy in conjunction with the Marketing & Communications Director and Human Resources leadership
- Ensure Association initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and volunteers
- Plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal communications mediums. Some graphic design will be required.
- Use social media or other forms of digital media to communicate with staff internally
- Ensure internal communications messages are consistent across all mediums and for different departments of the organization
- Ensure internal communication messages are consistent with external communication messages
- Visit each center frequently and regularly to develop and maintain strong relationships with leadership and department managers
- Respond to feedback from staff and adjust communications content accordingly
- Handle the internal communication response to crisis situations which affect Association perception and reputation
- Advise senior executives on communications strategies and tools for effectively communicating specific messages
Other Functions / Requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelors degree in Communications, Journalism or other relevant field; or four years of experience in internal communications
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Creative ability to establish communications strategies to reach a broad audience with a variety of technical abilities and access
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a fast-moving, complicated, challenging environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time and meet deadlines
- Ability to develop positive, supportive and effective working relationships with internal and external colleagues
- Motivation and commitment to work independently and be self-directed
- Oversee and complete projects in a timely and efficient manner
- Must comply with Association service principles and service standards
- Possess a valid, USA state issued drivers license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment
- Support the Association safety program
- Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members and staff
- All other duties assigned
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Occasional lifting of boxes, equipment equal to 30 pounds.
- Working in an office environment with a variety of staff from other departments.
- Some outdoor presence required for events, photo and video shoots, media coverage.
- Flexible schedule and routine required to respond to demands of position.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program; promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.