Association Museums Director and HistorianEstes Park Center – Estes Park, CO Snow Mountain Ranch – Granby, CO
Salary Range: $45,000.00 - $56,500.00
The Association Museums Director and Historian is responsible for the collection, preservation, interpretation and education of YMCA of the Rockies’ history. The Association Museums Director and Historian is the only full-time staff member dedicated to YMCA of the Rockies history and will provide oversight for all aspects of historical research, documentation and communication. This will be accomplished primarily by providing leadership and direction for the museums and historical sites at Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch and Camp Chief Ouray.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. YMCA of the Rockies staff are key players in helping cultivate an environment of healthy living, youth development, and community impact on our breathtaking properties outside Rocky Mountain National Park. This is a place where nature inspires and staff lead with heart. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. The work each staff member does matters. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the museums/historic sites and historic-based programming.
- Promotes and implements best practices for museums’ collections storage within YMCA budgets and priorities
- Promotes and implements best practices for small museum exhibitions including development, implementation and maintenance.
- Plans the development, implementation and maintenance of interpretive programs specific to each of the Association’s centers.
- Plan the development, implementation and maintenance of YMCA of the Rockies artifact and archive collections including the written records of the Association and the corporate archives of the YMCA of the Rockies.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of DEI and how to ensure it is fully integrated into the culture and activities of the Museum.
- Hire, train and supervise a core group of volunteers at each Center who deliver high quality programs for all ages including but not limited to families, campers, Outdoor Education, donors, and community groups at the Dorsey Museum, the Rowley Homestead, and other historic sites at each of the YMCA of the Rockies Centers.
- Provide historical content for preservation projects and promote ongoing, historically accurate, maintenance of historic structures.
- Provide historical content for marketing and philanthropy departments when requested.
- Coordinates events of a historical nature at each center as appropriate.
- Conduct independent research for the purposes of museum exhibitions and programs.
- Travel regularly to all historic sites owned by the YMCA of the Rockies.
- Maintain relations with artifact donors.
- Must have a minimum of three years of experience as a museum director, manager, educator or similar experience.
- Knowledge of PastPerfect museum collections software preferred
- A high level of communication skill is required including, verbal, written and online.
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
- Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
- Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
- Attend required abuse risk management training and report suspicious or inappropriate behaviors and policy violations.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and antiracism is required.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
- All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Able to lift and carry boxes up to 25lbs
- Be able to squat, reach, and climb ladders to access collections
- Ability to climb stairs and frequently get up and down from desk.
COMPENSATION PACKAGE & EMPLOYEE PERKS:
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- Generous PTO/Vacation
- Participation in YMCA Retirement Fund (an additional 12% contribution by YMCA after 2 years employment)
- Employer owned rental housing may be available nearby - Contact Human Resources for more information
- YMCA of the Rockies membership
- Discounted childcare, summer day camp, and summer overnight camp
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges for friends & family
- Ski passes to nearby resorts
- Free or discounted gear rentals for outdoor adventures
- View all YMCA of the Rockies employee perks by visiting here