2023 Discover Program Dates
July 24, 2023
January 31, 2024
The Program: The Discover Gap Program at YMCA of the Rockies provides young adults with a variety of experiences designed to learn the non-profit hospitality industry while gaining essential life skills. The key components of this program are work experience in hospitality (rotating through departments at YMCA of the Rockies), team building with other participants and staff from around the world, and life lessons not necessarily taught in higher education.
Highlights of the Discover Gap Program: This program is FREE! In addition to no program fee or application fee, Discover participants earn money throughout the program as they’ll be working in a seasonal position at our resort & conference center next to Rocky Mountain National Park. They will earn an hourly wage and automatically opt-into the Rocky Mountain Living Package which includes room & board, access to all YMCA of the Rockies facilities, ski and golf passes, gear rentals for outdoor adventures, employee programming including staff trips, discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges for family & friends, and transportation around Winter Park, CO and the surrounding areas. These living costs will be automatically deducted from paychecks, which means participants do not need to worry about paying utilities and rent on-time each month. The work week is 32-36 hours and remaining hours are for activities and training opportunities. A customizable work experience is available to all Discover Participants, as well as travel assistance to the program. Discover offers workshops and trainings around resume building, team building, and opportunities for mountain adventures in Rocky Mountain National Park and Winter Park Resort. Participants that successfully complete our program will be eligible to stay on as YMCA employees for up to 2 additional months or can apply for available year-round positions.
Who should apply for Discover? Those who recently graduated from high school (or have their GED), and those who haven’t graduated high school but are between the ages of 18- 21 years old.
- Paid seasonal employment, gaining skills in our food service and housekeeping departments
- Part of the Discover Cohort, forming a community with other young adults looking for the same outcomes
- Biweekly “Discover Days” designed to enhance life skills, increase workforce preparedness and explore the local and surrounding areas
- Recreational opportunities (both scheduled and informal) on our 5,200 acres of open space and surrounding public lands
- Time to explore Rocky Mountain National Park and other local attractions
- Service opportunities
- Small-group workshops and training sessions
- Opportunities to continue working at Snow Mountain Ranch, in the same or a different department.
Discover participants will emerge with greater self-confidence, self-awareness and a sense of purpose. Participants will have the opportunity to work with a diverse workforce and learn professional, life enhancing and team building skills.
Snow Mountain Ranch is a place where we bring together family and friends. Our inspirational surroundings provide moments of tranquility while intentionally building relationships - with yourself, those around you and nature.
About YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round destination family resorts on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, Estes Park Center, and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property. We hire year-round staff, gap year students, plus hundreds of international seasonal staff and college interns every year who want to experience the mountains and support our mission of building a healthy spirit, mind, and body.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith in all functions.
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards