Job Title: Leadership & Trips Director - Snow Mountain Ranch Status: Exempt
Employee Classification: Year-Round, Benefited Revision Date: 11/2020
Reports to: Camp Executive
Leadership Level: Team Leader
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Snow Mountain Ranch, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center and residential camp, serving more than 50,000 guests annually. The Leadership & Trips Director is primarily responsible for successful implementation of camp programs for the Leadership and Trip Camps (13-17 year olds), budgeting, hiring and training staff, and hitting goals set forth by the YMCA of the Rockies.
Salary Range: $37,000-$40,500 with benefits and lodging
Application Deadline: December 11, 2020
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* Ability to successfully plan camp programs from inception to participant satisfaction, including during times of construction and occupancy growth. This includes; Adventure/Trekker trips, International Trips, Family Adventure Trips, Leaders-In-Training, Specialist-In-Training, Counselors-In-Training, Wilderness Leadership, Wrangler-In-Training, and new programs.
* Recruit, hire, train, and coach seasonal staff for summer leadership and trip camps.
* Experience in budgeting; creating and maintaining.
* Assist in the marketing of camp and improvement in the retention of campers over multiple years.
* Ability to cultivate relationships with campers and staff.
* Assist in moving forward the YMCA of the Rockies Diversity Initiative in camp programs.
* Documented experience working with youth of color.
* Assist in forming partnerships with organizations that serve diverse populations
* Assist in creating a safe space for all by helping break down barriers to inclusivity including; hiring practices, forms, training, and all aspects of programs.
* Meet tasks assigned to position in the Camp Chief Ouray Strategic Initiative Plan (SIP).
* Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
* Minimum of three (3) years of education, training, and/or experience related to organized camping, and at least 23 years of age.
* Knowledge of back country camping programs; logistics, Leave No Trace, emergency evacuations, and permitting processes
* Minimum of Wilderness First Aid certified.
* Team Leader certification or ability to achieve certification within 4 years.
* Be on duty during the summer months including weekends and stay overs.
* Lead the Youth Leadership Board (YLB) for Camp Chief Ouray.
* Assist in leading Youth In Government (YIG) programs through the local school district.
* Assist in leading post-camp and winter programs.
* Assist with American Camp Association (ACA) site visits.
* Ability to plan out and envision camp two years in advance.
* Ability to work with other departments within Snow Mountain Ranch and YMCA of the Rockies.
* Assist with philanthropic efforts and writing grants for programs.
* Training in Mental Health First Aid and/or Restorative Justice a plus.
* Spanish bilingual a plus.
* Attend relevant meetings for position.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMNTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
* Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
* Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Able to work outdoors in all weather, hiking large distances over varied terrain.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and carry up one (1) flight of steps.
* Short bursts of stooping, kneeling, bending, standing for long periods of time, etc.
* Prolonged periods at a computer and on the phone.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.
Leadership & Trips Director Information Sheet
Camp Chief Ouray, YMCA of the Rockies
This is current information that will be relevant to this position.
* YMCA of the Rockies, Julie Watkins President/CEO
o Consist of Estes Park Center & Snow Mountain Ranch
o Est 1907 in Estes Park, 1969 in Granby
* Camp Chief Ouray (CCO), Est 1908
o Located at Snow Mountain Ranch, Granby, CO (elevation of 8,750 feet)
o Serve 280 campers per week, over 2,200 campers per summer in residential camp, Traditional Programs range between 190-210 campers per week
o Serve 40+ camper per week in Day Camp (recently acquired from Snow Mountain Ranch)
o Post Camps include: ELK Family Camp, Women’s Adventure Camp, Active Older Adults Camp, Family Camp
o Other Camp Events include: Fall Weekend, Winter Weekends (x2), Spring Break Trip, WFA Certification, WFR Certification, Volunteer Weekend, First Time Camper Event
o Revenues of $2 MIL
o Currently in Phase 1 of Master Site Plan update, includes adding 66 campers per week and a new Dining Hall, estimated completion in 2023
o 4 Full-time, Year-round positions (Camp Executive, Summer Camp Director, Leadership & Trips Director, Business Manager), for three months we have a full-time Food Service Director who also serves at Snow Mountain Ranch in the off-season
o Minimum goal of 10% of campers on scholarship each summer
o American Camp Association accredited, next visit in 2021
o Utilize Praesidium Know Your Score! for Child Abuse Prevention training
o 85-90% of campers come from the Front Range of Colorado, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs and surrounding areas
o 9%+ come from states beyond Colorado (35 total states in 2019)
o Less than 1% come from outside the USA (5 different countries in 2019)
o Approximately 86% Caucasian, 6% African-American, 5% Hispanic/Latino, 3% Mixed Race
o Serve a few organizations for specific spots in camp: Children’s Hospital Dialysis Unit, Denver Kids, Fairview Elementary, Longmont STEM School, Impact360
o Typically hire between 100-110 staff per summer including; nurses, admin staff, counselors, trip/leadership, and kitchen staff
o Majority come from Colorado schools, rest are from all over
o Typically have around 8% from outside the USA
o Approximately 90% Caucasian, 3% African-American, 5% Hispanic/Latino, 2% Mixed Race
o Grand County has approximately 14,000 year-round residents
o Considered a tourist area with ski areas (Winter Park and Granby Ranch) and Rocky Mountain National Park less than 40 minutes away
o 3 Grocery stores within county, closest Wal-Mart/Target is 1.5 hours away