Library Assistant - Volunteer, Sept-Dec 2018
The library is the source of books, games and puzzles for guests and staff to borrow or use while staying at YMCA of the Rockies. The Library Volunteer assists library users while they are in the library and with the process of borrowing materials, as well as promotes the YMCA of the Rockies mission through friendly conversation with library users. The Library Assistant works independently in the library.
As an On-Grounds Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season. Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April. Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Knowledge of current adult and children's book trends
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and basic computer/email
- Be able to lift 20 lbs
- Greet and assist guests in finding books, magazines and other forms of media
- Open and close the Library
- Arrange, manage and set-up for programs held in the library
- Use checkout/in system, topical book categories and the shelving system
- Plan and leads story time and other family activities
- Maintain a clean and well-organized facility
- Misc. duties including but not limited to dusting, vacuuming, trash collecting, bathroom cleaning and maintenance duties, watering plants and window cleaning and light shoveling
- B able to work most weekends and holidays, this includes working, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, etc
- All other duties as assigned
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Room (furnished room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week, with an option to sign up for boxed lunches)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1032, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Status: Internship, Volunteer