YMCA of the Rockies - EPC
Job Title: Lifeguard Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Classification: Seasonal Employee
Reports to: Pool Supervisor, Aquatics Director & Program Director Revision Date: 10/22/12 _________________________________________________________________________
Lifeguard patrons in the pool facility and assists in cleaning of pool facility.
Position Start Date: February 15, 2021
Essential Functions / Requirements:
1. Current certification in Lifeguarding (American Red Cross, YMCA, Ellis or equivalent) and CPR/AED.
2. Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatics environment, including in the water and anywhere in the pool facility. Lifeguard candidates must have a minimum hearing threshold of no more than an average of 25-decibel loss in both ears over a range of frequencies.
a. Candidates who use hearing aids or other corrective devices for hearing should be able to perform all rescue skills and emergency procedures without interruptions to adjust, retrieve, or install/attach a hearing aid or corrective device.
3. Remain alert with no periods of inattentiveness.
4. Have the physical mobility to properly use aquatics equipment and meet strength and lifting requirements to rescue pool patrons.
5. Observe all sections of assigned zones.
a. Candidates who use corrective lenses should be able to perform all rescue skills and procedures without interruptions to adjust, clear, or retrieve corrective lenses.
6. Able to work with people of diverse backgrounds including, age, race, gender, faith, and socio-economic level.
7. Know and implement all safety procedures.
8. Uphold and adhere to the policies of the YMCA of the Rockies and the Program Department.
9. Know and adhere to pool policies and procedures.
10. Explain and enforce all pool rules to swimmers.
11. Use a variety of cleaning chemicals and follow proper cleaning procedures to clean the pool facility.
12. Participate in all In-service trainings; be prepared, teachable and provide feedback when appropriate.
13. Operate telephone, rescue equipment and cleaning equipment.
14. Read and speak English fluently.
15. Must be able to maintain all lifeguard skills and knowledge, or participate in remedial upon arrival.
16. Other duties as assigned.
Other Functions / Requirements:
1. Previous lifeguarding experience preferred.
2. Swim lesson instructing experience preferred.
3. May be asked to meet a weekly swim quota.
4. May be asked to obtain Emergency Oxygen training (provided, at no cost).
5. May be asked to work as an attendant for other recreation facilities or programs of the Program Department.
6. Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles. (Approved drivers only)
7. Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members and staff.
8. Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies and programs.
9. Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions.
10. Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
11. Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment.
12. Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
13. Possess excellent customer service skills; for example: friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
14. All other duties as assigned.
In addition to the Appearance, Attire and Hygiene section outlined in the Seasonal Staff & Volunteer Handbook, the following applies to YMCA Lifeguards:
1. Female Lifeguards: One-piece swimsuit or YMCA appropriate tankinis/two-pieces, modest shorts (no short shorts or words on the rear), lifeguard shirt (provided), whistle and staff I.D.
2. Male Lifeguards: Shorts, lifeguard shirt (provided), whistle and staff I.D.
3. Hair: Must be clean and neatly arranged, male hair may not be longer than collar length or it must be pulled back into a ponytail. Hair must be natural colors only. Eccentric hairstyles are not permitted, such as dreadlocks or mohawks.
4. Head coverings: Head coverings are not permitted.
5. Piercings: Piercings may not be visible except for simple earrings, small nose studs and clear tongue rings (as long as they do not interfere with effective communication).
6. Tattoos: Inappropriate tattoos may not be visible.
7. Nails: Nails must be clean and filed to a length that does not interfere with lifeguard duties, or be considered hazardous or extreme.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.