Job Title: Lifeguard - EPC/SMR
Employee Classification: Seasonal Revision Date: 01.2021
Reports to: Aquatics Director
YMCA of the Rockies Lifeguards will explain safety rules to patrons, warn them about unsafe situations, and enforce policies on showers and proper attire. Lifeguards ensure the safety of patrons in the facility by preventing and responding to emergencies. You will play an instrumental role in maintaining facility cleanliness by inspecting swimming pool areas, locker rooms and restrooms. Lifeguards must maintain test-ready CPR/Lifeguarding/First Aid skills and will be required to attend regular trainings.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Assess situations swiftly and make judicious decisions regarding the safety of swimmers. Top candidates are excellent communicators, swift and safety-minded.
* Warn swimmers regarding unsafe situations.
* Responding to emergencies and rescue swimmers in danger of drowning.
* Preform first aid.
* Maintain cleanliness and orderliness of the facility
* Maintain records and reports
* Remain alert with no periods of inattentiveness.
* Observe all sections of assigned zones.
* Know and implement all safety procedures.
* Uphold and adhere to the policies of the YMCA of the Rockies and the Program Department.
* Know and adhere to pool policies and procedures.
* Use a variety of cleaning chemicals and follow proper cleaning procedures to clean the pool facility.
* Participate in all In-service trainings; be prepared, teachable and provide feedback when appropriate.
* Operate telephone, rescue equipment and cleaning equipment.
* Read and speak English fluently.
* Must be able to maintain all lifeguard skills and knowledge, or participate in remedial upon arrival.
* Other duties as assigned, including work as an attendant for other recreation facilities or programs of the Program Department.
SNOW MOUNTAIN RANCH SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
* Provide lifeguard oversight of reservoir and all canoeing activities during summer months
* Explain rules of canoes to guests and assist with getting into and out of canoes
* Maintain cleanliness of waterfront equipment
* Assist teaching swimming lessons
* Facilitates games out on the water
* Previous lifeguarding experience preferred.
* Current certification in Lifeguarding (American Red Cross, YMCA, Ellis or equivalent) and CPR/AED. Willing to certify for the right candidate.
* Have the physical mobility to properly use aquatics equipment and meet strength and lifting requirements to rescue pool patrons.
* May be asked to meet a weekly swim quota.
* May be asked to obtain Emergency Oxygen training (provided, at no cost).
* Able to work with people of diverse backgrounds including, age, race, gender, faith, and socio-economic level.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies and programs.
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions.
* Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
* Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example: friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
In addition to the Appearance, Attire and Hygiene section outlined in the Seasonal Staff & Volunteer Handbook, the following applies to YMCA Lifeguards:
* Female Lifeguards: One-piece swimsuit or YMCA appropriate tankinis/two-pieces, modest shorts (no short shorts or words on the rear), lifeguard shirt (provided), whistle and staff I.D.
* Male Lifeguards: Modes shorts (no short shorts or words on the rear), lifeguard shirt (provided), whistle and staff I.D.
What we offer:
This is a seasonal position with a base pay rate of $13.07/hour (based on 40 hours/week). This position includes:
Room & Board Options Available
* Room (room in our staff dormitory with wifi, pay laundry facilities)
* Board (3 meals per day, 7 days per week)
Other employee perks and discounts, including:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
* Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.