Museum Collections Intern - Seasonal
Museum Collections Internship Fall/Winter 2019/2020
This is a seasonal position at the Lula W. Dorsey Museum at the YMCA of the Rockies, based in Estes Park, CO. Broadly, the museum intern assists the Museum Director and Historian in all facets of the successful operation of the museum with a focus on collections-related projects, such as registration, cataloging and documentation, and inventories.
- Under the direct supervision of the director, responsible for conducting museum inventories and rehousing projects.
- Assists with proper documentation of objects in the collections - museum and institutional archives.
- Develop appropriate data and authority tables for the creation of catalog records in the Pastperfect museum software.
- Assists with the development of procedures and protocols for data entry into the database and other collections-related projects, such as the inventory.
- Enter data into computer using museum software.
- Maintains, updates, corrects and revises data within the database.
- Assists with the transfer of card catalogue data into the database.
- Independently open and close the museum buildings as directed by the museum director.
- Responsible for keeping the museum storage and processing rooms clean and orderly.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must have a bachelors’ degree in history, anthropology, or museum-related field, working towards a master’s degree in museum studies or museum-related field, preferred.
- Must have completed at least 9 credits in museum-related studies.
- Must have a strong understanding of museum collections management and databases.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be physically able to climb stairs multiple times daily, lift up to 25 pounds from level, or down from a shelf.
- Must possess strong office skills, including Microsoft Office Excel and Word
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Must possess Red Cross CPR/First Aid Certification.
Compensation will be paid at $6.50 per hour for a 40-hour work week.
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free Wi-Fi)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, crafts and design center, and indoor rock-climbing wall.
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
- We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
- The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
- The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
- We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Job Status: Internship