Museum Intern, Rowley Homestead
The Museum Intern assists the Historian in all facets of operation of the Rowley Homestead at Snow Mountain Ranch. The Museum Intern is responsible for implementing daily historical activities, assisting with the supervision of Homestead volunteers, and providing general project oversight as directed by the Museum Director.
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must be working towards a degree in history/museum related field, graduate level preferred.
- Must enjoy working with people of all ages, especially school aged youth and families.
- With direction from Museums Director plan, develop and implement programs and displays for guests of all ages, particularly family groups.
- With direction from the Museum Director, assist with restoration projects at the Historic Homestead.
- Must be able to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Independently open and close the Homestead buildings as directed by Museums Director.
- Greet Homestead guests and provide tours of the historic homestead.
- Responsible for keeping the Homestead buildings and grounds clean and orderly within the constraints of an early 19th century Homestead setting.
- Support Program Department activities hosted at the Homestead.
- Must be physically able to be outdoors for up to 8 hours per day in various weather conditions.
- Must enjoy physical labor associated with running a Homestead including but not limited to assisting with historic restoration projects, lift up to 25 pounds from floor level, and lead up to 2 hour walks around the YMCA grounds.
- Must possess the ability to quickly retain learned historical facts.
- Must be fluent in speaking English and possess effective communication skills.
- Must possess basic office skills and be organized.
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members and staff.
- First Aid/CPR training preferred.
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies and programs.
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions.
- Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment.
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
Other Functions / Requirements:
- All other duties as assigned.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standard
This is a full time, seasonal, hourly position $6.50 - $7.00 per hour depending on experience, paid biweekly. You also receive:
- Room (housing includes internet access/heat/water--no bills!-no lease!--in a dormitory building)
- Board (3 tasty buffet style meals, 7 days per week)
- Complimentary nights at both Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
- YMCA of the Rockies family membership while you’re employed (please note that our facilities include a pool, gymnasium, climbing wall, great activities/classes, and trails, but not a weight lifting room)
- Other employee perks including access to free skiing/snowboarding/mountain biking/golf (depending on season and resort) at Winter Park Resort and other resorts.
In accordance with our healthy spirit/mind/body mission and federal law, we have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty. If you want to use marijuana, don't apply to work for us.
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email: email@example.com.
We strongly recommend applying by March 1 each year, at the latest, for a summer internship.
Job Status: Internship