Museum Intern - Seasonal
Final_Museum Internship - Summer Availability May 2019 - September 2019
The Museum Assistant Intern assists the Museum Director in all facets of operation of the Lula W. Dorsey Museum. The primary responsibility for this internship is the planning and implementing programming for our daily Day Camp attendees and week long history camps.
* With direction from the Museum Director plan, develop, and implement programs for Day Camp participants in grades K-8.
* With direction from Museums Director plan, develop and implement week long history camps for participants in grades K-8.
* Independently open and close the museum buildings as directed by Museums Director.
* Responsible for keeping the museum buildings and grounds clean and orderly, maintaining a clean working environment for programs.
* Responsible for guest services including greeting museum guests, provide tours of the exhibits and answer questions.
* Support volunteers in their duties as museum interpreters, including leading tours of the YMCA grounds and other museum-related programming.
* All other duties as assigned.
* Must be at least 21 years old.
* Must have completed at least 30 semester hours in history or another museum-related field, including education.
* Must have a strong understanding of American History.
* Must enjoy working with people of all ages, especially school-aged youth.
* Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Must have the ability to work independently and as a team member.
* Must be physically able to climb stairs multiple times daily, lift up to 25 pounds from level, and lead a two hour walk at altitude.
* Must possess the ability to quickly retain learned historical facts.
* Must be fluent in speaking English.
* Must possess basic office skills, including Microsoft Office.
* Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Must possess Red Cross CPR/First Aid Certification
Compensation will be paid at $6.20 per hour/$248 per week.
* Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
* Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
o Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
o 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
o Discounts at local merchants
o Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
* We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
* The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
* The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
* We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Job Status: Seasonal