Museum - Volunteer
Summer _Museum Assistant Volunteer - Availability Fall/Winter 2019/2020
The Museum Assistant is responsible for assisting the Museum Director in the day-to-day operation of the Dorsey Museum and providing high quality programs for guests and staff at the Dorsey Museum. In the absence of the Director, they must assume responsibility of executing the essential functions of this position without supervision.
* Must be able to learn and retain historical facts.
* With direction from the Museum Director lead programs for audiences of various ages.
* With direction from Museums Director undertake research for programs and exhibits.
* With direction from the Museum Director and Museum Intern undertake collections and Archives cataloging.
* Independently open and close the museum buildings as directed by Museums Director.
* Responsible for keeping the museum buildings and grounds clean and orderly, maintaining a clean working environment for programs and guests.
* Responsible for guest services including greeting museum guests, provide tours of the exhibits and answer questions, and tracking visitor numbers.
* Support our team members in their duties, including leading tours of the YMCA grounds and other museum-related programming, and collections care.
* All other duties as assigned.
* Must be at least 18 years old.
* Must have a strong understanding of, or interest in, American History.
* Must enjoy working with people of all ages, especially school-aged youth.
* Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Must have the ability to work independently and as a team member.
* Must be physically able to climb stairs multiple times daily, lift up to 25 pounds from level, and lead a two hour walk at altitude.
* Must possess the ability to quickly retain learned historical facts.
* Must be fluent in speaking English.
* Must possess basic office skills, including Microsoft Office.
* Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Must possess Red Cross CPR/First Aid Certification
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
Note: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
As a volunteer, there is no compensation. Volunteer benefits include:
* Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
* Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
o Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
o 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic café, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
o Discounts at local merchants
o Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Job Status: Internship,Volunteer