Nordic Center Volunteer - Winter 2019-2020 (Room & Board Included)
Reports To: Nordic Center Director/Supervisor
Member of the Nordic Center team which conducts the daily operations of SMR's Nordic Center which has over 100kms of groomed ski trails. Duties include opening and closing the Center, fitting and recording ski rentals and sales of equipment, issuing trail passes, ensuring the cleanliness and upkeep of the Center and its immediate surroundings, assisting on race days, answering phones and resolving questions about the trail system.
- 8 weeks minimum in this position
- As an On-Grounds Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season. Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April. Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas
- Ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
- Current Certifications in First Aid and CPR.
- Demonstrate proficiency as a Nordic skier using both classical and skating techniques.
- Ability to teach beginner to intermediate level students in classical and skate techniques.
- Knowledge of techniques following, but not limited to, the guidelines for USSA Level 100 in addition to the guidelines set in place by the Nordic Center Director or the Assistant Director.
- Practical working knowledge of both classical and skate waxing techniques.
- Ability to offer technique and waxing advice to guests.
- Possess knowledge of the trail system and express a genuine enthusiasm for Nordic skiing.
- Enforce all Nordic Center policies throughout volunteer-shift.
- Adhere to assigned work schedules and record accurate time card information.
- Develop knowledge of Nordic Center retail items, rental equipment, and service options available to guests (Requires general product knowledge).
- Provide accurate information to guests regarding the Nordic Center and other Snow Mountain Ranch activities.
- Complete all required paperwork correctly and in a timely manner.
- Arrive at Nordic Center prepared for work and with minimal transition time from shop worker to instructor.
- Maintain accurate records of all ski lessons.
- Ensure cleanliness, upkeep, and an excellent presentation of the ski shop environment.
- Learn and execute point of sale operation and retail sales procedures.
- Answer the phone promptly, accurately, and with enthusiasm; record all messages for staff accurately and take responsibility for delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform shirts or vest will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and trousers. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Pinewood Lodge: A smaller dorm facility that can house up to 75 staff and is attached to our administration building. This is our 40+ housing, primarily serving our volunteer community. Rooms are doubles and can accommodate a couple. Each room has a full bathroom. There is a TV lounge with refrigerator and microwave. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
- Geronimo Campground: A campground with 26 sites ranging from 15-50 Amps. All sites have electric hook ups while others have additional water and/or sewer. Geronimo camp sites are open from mid-May to mid-September depending on the weather.
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, library, and an art center
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy) and various local restaurants
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ and provide volunteer positions for people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Status: Internship,Volunteer