Job Title: Nordic Center Volunteer - SMR
Employee Classification: Volunteer
Revision Date: January 2021
Reports to: Nordic Center Director
As a Nordic Center Volunteer you will be an integral member of the Nordic Center team which conducts the daily operations of SMR's Nordic Center. Our award winning center offers over 100kms of groomed ski trails and provides guest a world class Nordic experience in the heart of the majestic Rocky Mountains. Duties include opening and closing the Center, fitting and recording ski rentals and sales of equipment, issuing trail passes, ensuring the cleanliness and upkeep of the Center and its immediate surroundings, assisting on race days, answering phones and resolving questions about the trail system.
Position Available November 2021-April 2022
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Enforce all Nordic Center policies throughout volunteer-shift.
* Adhere to assigned work schedules and record accurate time card information.
* Develop knowledge of Nordic Center retail items, rental equipment, and service options available to guests (Requires general product knowledge).
* Provide accurate information to guests regarding the Nordic Center and other Snow Mountain Ranch activities.
* Complete all required paperwork correctly and in a timely manner.
* Arrive at Nordic Center prepared for work and with minimal transition time from shop worker to instructor.
* Maintain accurate records of all ski lessons.
* Ensure cleanliness, upkeep, and an excellent presentation of the ski shop environment.
* Learn and execute point of sale operation and retail sales procedures.
* Answer the phone promptly, accurately, and with enthusiasm; record all messages for staff accurately and take responsibility for delivery.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
* Current Certifications in First Aid and CPR.
* Demonstrate proficiency as a Nordic skier using both classical and skating techniques.
* Ability to teach beginner to intermediate level students in classical and skate techniques.
* Knowledge of techniques following, but not limited to, the guidelines for USSA Level 100 in addition to the guidelines set in place by the Nordic Center Director or the Assistant Director.
* Practical working knowledge of both classical and skate waxing techniques.
* Ability to offer technique and waxing advice to guests.
* Possess knowledge of the trail system and express a genuine enthusiasm for Nordic skiing.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.