The Nordic Groomer is responsible for laying down a high-quality snow/trail product. This will be accomplished by operating and maintaining a Nordic grooming equipment fleet including snowmobiles, with pull-behind implements such as track setters and rollers, and when properly trained, the Nordic groomer will operate the cat groomer. Groomers are also responsible for on-going trail maintenance during the winter season, which requires the ability to safely operate chainsaws and other trail maintenance equipment.
- Excellent physical condition
- Work in temperatures as low as -40° F
- Excellent knowledge of cross country skiing, including events/race course development
- Able to work in icy and snowy terrain
- Read and speak English
- Knowledge of Nordic ski equipment
- Excellent public relations skills on telephone and in person
- Certified First Aid and CPR required. Previous experience required
- Knowledge of machinery, proper use and repair
- Ability to work both as a team member and independently
- Possess a valid, USA state issued driver's license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Vehicles and equipment may include standard transmission vehicles and chainsaws.
- The chainsaws are pull-start and the amount of force necessary to pull start them depends on a number of variables.
- Intermediate/Advanced knowledge of snowmobiles and how to drive and operate them in a variety of snow conditions and/or the ability to be trained in the operation of such equipment.
- Operation includes pull starting sleds with high friction/tension on the pull device. The driving position while seated on the sleds puts the driver in a sitting position with outstretched hands at a 30 - 45 degree angle approximately 12 inches above the waist. Driving time could be up to 2-3 hours at a time.
- Possess minimal vehicle maintenance skills in order to keep cat groomer, snowmobiles and light drag equipment in fully functional order.
- Be able to lift up to 50 lbs. 3 feet off the ground
- This will be up to 50 lbs of trees/tree bulbs, slash/timbered wood, grooming equipment.
- Motions with load may include bending with load in hands/arms, carrying load, carrying load in a shovel or off-loading a load from a truck bed up to 3-4 feet off the ground.
- Frequency of doing this function and performing motion with load in hands/arms will occur throughout the day and may occur the entire day. The frequency of this function is ultimately based on the project.
- Groom Nordic ski trails, operate snowmobiles, shovel snow, and perform basic equipment maintenance.
- When weather permits, all grooming will be completed in darkness during trail closed hours
- Solve problems with the needs of Snow Mountain Ranch guests and members in mind
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position (pay is DOE), with additional employee benefits including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS?Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email email@example.com.